Was it a fluke?

hunnyjoconnor

Chirping
Jan 5, 2024
My chicks are 3 weeks old give or take a few days. They are in an outdoor brooder with all day access to their run since it's been really warm this past week. They still have a heat plate up in their coop but for the most part I've seen the temps in the coop get to almost 90 during the day and in the mid 60's overnight. On a normal day I come home about 5ish and check on them (please read that as play and love on them) and as the sun goes does tuck them back up in their coop and close the coop up tight, but last night I had a late class. I had expected them to be in a huddle puddle in their run under the coop but to my shock they had all gotten themselves into the coop and were "sleeping". I'm new to having chicks so was that some sort of fluke or are they really that smart/instinctual?

My chicks are 3 weeks old give or take a few days. They are in an outdoor brooder with all day access to their run since it's been really warm this past week. They still have a heat plate up in their coop but for the most part I've seen the temps in the coop get to almost 90 during the day and in the mid 60's overnight. On a normal day I come home about 5ish and check on them (please read that as play and love on them) and as the sun goes does tuck them back up in their coop and close the coop up tight, but last night I had a late class. I had expected them to be in a huddle puddle in their run under the coop but to my shock they had all gotten themselves into the coop and were "sleeping". I'm new to having chicks so was that some sort of fluke or are they really that smart/instinctual?
They are that smart and they know where their home/roost is.
And of course they had a good teacher... Well done 👍🙂

Their run is super safe correct? Double check it quite regularly. Do a walk around the perimeter every so often looking for dig spots and possible entry attempts to keep your babies safe.

They are that smart and they know where their home/roost is.
And of course they had a good teacher... Well done 👍🙂

Their run is super safe correct? Double check it quite regularly. Do a walk around the perimeter every so often looking for dig spots and possible entry attempts to keep your babies safe.
Thank you.

It's not as safe as I would like it. It's not wire dug in the ground all around it safe but it is double stakes for each corner and every foot along the ground safe plus bricks on the nesting box hatch safe. We move it around the yard every week or so. During the day they have 3 dogs and a barn cat that monitor the yard. At night the dogs will patrol if they hear something. If something wanted in could they get in? Probably but not without me being alerted when I'm home.

Thank you.

It's not as safe as I would like it. It's not wire dug in the ground all around it safe but it is double stakes for each corner and every foot along the ground safe plus bricks on the nesting box hatch safe. We move it around the yard every week or so. During the day they have 3 dogs and a barn cat that monitor the yard. At night the dogs will patrol if they hear something. If something wanted in could they get in? Probably but not without me being alerted when I'm home.
We have two dogs and two cats that keep the riff-raff out, but at night, they are locked into an impenetrable coop. If you are where other dogs or wild animals are, I'd consider working on a more secure place for them, just in case. We would hate to hear something happened. :hugs

It's not as safe as I would like it. It's not wire dug in the ground all around it safe but [.......] We move it around the yard every week or so.
I've seen an article here somewhere in which a guy made a chicken tractor with exterior hardware cloth aprons around all four sides. The aprons were hinged to the frame, so that he could raise them to move the tractor, then lay them back down in the new location. I think he used landscape pins or similar to fix them in place. Just a thought.

We have two dogs and two cats that keep the riff-raff out, but at night, they are locked into an impenetrable coop. If you are where other dogs or wild animals are, I'd consider working on a more secure place for them, just in case. We would hate to hear something happened. :hugs
I agree, especially if there's a chance of getting home late. I've even had to go back out a few times just to double check if I locked them up after I've locked them up.
(I think I'm pretty sure I did but if I don't go back out I won't sleep) 🙂

Back
Top Bottom