Leave it to Mother Nature...she has her own mind.....

Chickending

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Minnesota
I got the most shocking surprise last night. I came home and was in the layer coop doing chores and I hear frantic peeping from outside, I look and here scattering around in the weeds are a bunch of little yellow chicks.....I am "what the heck?"....My set up has a very secure, buried, inside fence then I fenced in about 300 sq of pasture and trees for the hens and the two roosters to free range in during the day. I only have predator problems at night with Coyotes. They dont come around during the day at all. The dogs keep them in check.

Well here I find out that one of my hens took motherhood into her own hands and back in the trees she had a nest and 12 eggs in it. I have 9 just hatched chicks, with one pipping and the other two I am not sure of.

I had to scramble because I was not prepared or expecting it. I had just last tuesday decided to let my BUFF O broody hen to sit 6 eggs figuring I would move her before she starting hatching.

Well my little EE hen "Cocoa" decided to take motherhood into her own hands. She had been sitting out in the pasture under a tree for 21 days, surviving predators etc and hatched 9 healthy chicks with possibly more on the way. They are all a dark gold color with brown striping down their back. The father is either a White Rock Roo or a BO roo.

So picture this....here I am with my ever faithful dog, he is holding off the roosters at the gate to the pasture while I round up the chicks and mommy. I had set up a temp pen in the barn with my dogs old kennel and some plywood. I just did not trust the other chickens with the babies. So I gathered them up and set them up in their new temp home. Mommy and babies are doing wonderful.

Was I wrong in not letting them stay with the flock?
Another question, Will mom teach them to drink water and eat? or will I have to dip their beaks like I do the shipped ones?

I was completely shocked and not prepared to this at all..............

Good ole nature has a way of taking care of itself.....

Firstly, congrats
big_smile.png

And yes, Momma Hen should teach them all they need to know about being chickens. Most people fence off the hen & chicks from the flock, so you did fine.

The only problem I see with you taking them out of the flock is when it is time to put them back in. Unless you have them set up where the flock can still see and hear them. So far I have let all of my broody hens sit and hatch there chicks in the coop with the flock. The momma hen does a pretty good job of protecting her babies and the roo I have seen a couple of times calling the little one's when he has found something. They do really well together......

and Yes the momma hen will teach her babies how to eat and drink. I haven't had to do this either for them.

Good luck with your new babies, that was a great surprise.....
hugs.gif

Last edited:
So the Roos wouldn't have hurt them? They can still hear each other, just not see each other. One of the roo's was acting king of agressive so I was really concerned and have heard stories of the other chickens hurting babies. So I guess I was being too cautious. If it would have been a saturday I could have watched them to see if they would integrate ok. I just didnt want to risk it.

I think you did super great , considering you had NO idea of exactly how to handle the situation you had been thrown into . I WOULD OF JUST FREAKED OUT .....

BUT you know what ? we all have mother nature " instincts " within us ladies . SO welcome to MOTHER /GRANDMA Chickie world .... LOL

jumpy.gif
:aww
hugs.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you did an awesome job considering you had no time to plan for them. Like I said my broody's were able to set and hatch in the same coop with the other's. That could very well be the reason my other hens and roo didn't bother the babies......

Back
Top Bottom