Leave or move hen and chick

Ribatutta

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
I had s broody hen so I left her with 4 eggs to see what happened. Due to others getting in the nest she ended up with just the one egg.
When I’ve gone out this morning it’s hatched. Momma is quite high up about 2 feet.
Should I just leave her with the chick and put food and water in or mover her and the chick to somewhere quiet? I have 16 other chickens who are all going to be in there if I don’t move them??
Any thought appreciates.
Thank you!!!! X

I had s broody hen so I left her with 4 eggs to see what happened. Due to others getting in the nest she ended up with just the one egg.
When I’ve gone out this morning it’s hatched. Momma is quite high up about 2 feet.
Should I just leave her with the chick and put food and water in or mover her and the chick to somewhere quiet? I have 16 other chickens who are all going to be in there if I don’t move them??
Any thought appreciates.
Thank you!!!! X
Is there a ramp up to this hens nest or other means by which the broody and her chick can come and go from the nest without flying?

Thanks for your reply shadrach - No it’s just perches. I’ve just moved them both onto the floor with lots of shavings and some soft straw. I’ve also shut the other chickens out for now.
Think I’ve 3 options:
1. leave them now on the floor of the coop and see what happens.
2. Move mother and chick to another coop on their own.
3. I have 2 other 3 week old chicks in a brooder so I could put the chick with them

With my first hatch I separated the hen and chick from the rest of the flock, and had problems integrating the chick with the flock once weaning was done. From then on I just left, or put, them on the floor and everything went very smoothly with no problems.

Think I’ve 3 options:
1. leave them now on the floor of the coop and see what happens.
2. Move mother and chick to another coop on their own.
3. I have 2 other 3 week old chicks in a brooder so I could put the chick with them
I'd go with option 1; and if you haven't already, put some chick crumb and a waterer with stones in (so the chick can't drown) nearby.

Back
Top Bottom