Leaving 3 week old chicks overnight

KayNova

Chirping
May 24, 2017
My husband's grandmother passed away and her memorial service and family gathering is the 8th and 9th. About 4 hours away from us so we will be staying overnight. Is a 24-30 hour period of alone time ok at this age? If it's not then I'll be sure to have someone come over. I'm just not sure if that's an acceptable time frame or not. I check on them probably 10 times a day or more when we're home so I'm having a little bit of anxiety about leaving them for this long.

If you have someone to check on them, then I would ask.
Leave a radio on for the chicks as well.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes....

If you have someone to check on them, then I would ask.
Leave a radio on for the chicks as well.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes....
OK. They are on our screened porch right now. We have hounds so they can't be inside regularly. I'm wondering if I should bring them inside while we're gone or do you think that'll mess with their internal temps? Not sure if that makes sense or not, I'm new at this. I mean since they've been out there for this long do you think a sudden change like that will freak them out?
They are doing really well out there. Our night Temps are high 50's for that week.

Well if you feel they might be unsafe on the porch, put them in. Chickens can adjust to all kinds of changes in temps, I wouldn't worry about that. It would be nice to be able to be present at the funeral and not be thinking about chickens, so I would do everything to ease worries.

Back
Top Bottom