leaving babbies by them selfs

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
so i go back to work on monday i have had my littel peepers for a week today got them last sat 3 of them are im guess starting 3rd week (they have 1 layer so tail feathers that are not even full feathers yet but full set of wing feathers) and i have 1 baby thats just got her wing feathers 3 layers very light yesterday they seemed to pop out in the time it took me to mix a cake and put it int the over :) ) so im guessing she is a week old when i got her she had not even one feather. so here i go

I go back to work on monday its only have day 1 - 5pm so no big deal but after that I will be gone from 7amish to 6pmish depnding on traffic. I live in Las Vegas Nevada and my back poarch hit 101 yesterday i have other pets besided the chicks 4 rats 3 dogs 1 cat that all live indoor I have to run the air for them now with the heat light on the chicks (last few days i put them out till it hits the 100 mark then bring them back in under the light) I just dont know what to do i have to constantly monter there temp and either move heat light closer or farther back depending on how the chicks feel. My dad is home but not one I can depend on checking on chicks all day long is it better to let them get a little chilled and keep the light up a ways or keep it down and poss over heat them. should i put them out side where they get moring sun and like right now where there out the sun no longer on them. what shold i do i love these little ***** and worry about leaving them why dont they have maturnity leave for chicks ;)

leaving them outside is no longer option justr went to check on them again and one chick was sleeping with its mouth open so i take that as panting so i brought them in and its only 11:43 and 95 out side so they will have to stay in side with air conditioning

Is the heatlamp at one end of the brooder or centered. Might want to move it to one end or even turn it off depending on the temp at night.

the heat lamp is at one side. there safe from my other fur babies

this is there set up butt i have a blanket go over have the cage where the light is not at i have it up in this pick but at night i put it down

I personally would still be concerned about the heat, and the dogs and cat. Depending on your pets, they could knock that thing over when they are unsupervised.
As long as you are sure the temp will be steady and not get too hot. Doesn't look like they can get that far away from it if they overheat.

so i turned off the heat light and put the room to what it will be like when im at work and the coop area got down to 75 i turned the light back on for them today but now really worried about them being at 75 for 9+ hours a day. ugh. when i leave the air will be off but my dad will come down between 9 & 10 and turn it on im going to ask him to keep eye on temp of chicks but hes in his 70's and abotu noon falls asleep in his chair for afternoon nap then nomraly will not be down in my house for remainder of day.

With one only a week old I would leave the light on. Might angle it down a little so there is a definite cool end to the brooder. Might want to leave the A/C on too so things are a stable temp at least for the next week. They get tougher after that first week and can handle more temp fluctuation.

Baby chicks seem to know if its too hot they huddle away from the lamp if its chilly they go closer and to each other .. So If they were in the house with a lmp and the air they will probably find a spot to be ok while your at work .. Your like me an old mother Hen worrying about her babies all the time : )

Back
Top Bottom