Leaving chickens for a few days

If you have seen no signs of trouble don't worry about it. It would take a few days to get in an armored run like that. Just have someone come by once a day and do a walk around. No signs of digging or chewing of wire , they have food and water, do it again the next day..
I zip tied an extra piece of HC where a possum was chewing at night. It worked fine until I could get that possum planted in the garden.
A bear might get in but nothing much is going to in just one try.
I have a netted run with my armored coop/run.

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 13
  • vvv.jpg
    vvv.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 13
our are locked in the coop right now. but at this time of year they have access to the full 12'x12' area for 6 hens. I have a 275 gallon water tank filled with rain run-off and PVC Automatic feeders. Since we don't have a run yet, since we can't find hardware cloth this is the best option for us, and the chickens seem to do well with it.

If you live near Costco, they sell nice 4 solar night light kit. I use for my home and been working great. It can dither the fox and other animals away. It is probably too late to add the AA battery operate automatic open/close coop door in the last minute.
The radio also work fine too.

and the ventilation not great in the coop.
This is a good reason not to leave them locked in the coop.
Plus it's kind of small, even for 6 young birds, would feed and water fit in anyway?
Run looks pretty good, but this is concerning,
looks like a perfect place for an animal to get a grip and tear it:
1593898107185.png

I would leave them with run access 24/7, if you cannot have someone come lock them up at night (if someone can come do that, that would be the best option). The coop is simply too small and poorly ventilated to expect them to stay inside without issues arising.

Here are the things to consider:

• is your enclosure secure (heavy gauge hardware cloth, dug in 12"-18" or surrounded by a 12" apron)?

• are all your points of entry backed up with secondary clasps on the latches

• are you leaving your flock with plenty of water and feed that they can't knock over

• are you in a climate where it isn't yet hot enough to require intervention

If you really have a secure coop and run they'll be OK for a couple days. I've never had a door between my coop and run. My chickens are as secure in their run as they are in the coop so no one has to let them in or out.

But when I'm away I have someone collect the eggs every day. I don't want any of the chickens to discover how delicious they are! My kids and my neighbors have never minded that task as they get the eggs. But I had to impress on them how important it is to replace the carabiner clip on the nesting box access door. Raccoons are devious, agile and clever opponents to have to outwit!

Back
Top Bottom