Leaving chickens for the first time

Love a chicken road trip. In 2017 I found this one (literally a chicken crossing the road in the middle of on I-80) on my way across the country, and ended up sharing a hotel room and my car with her for 2 days, lol!

Attachments

• 20170806_120217.jpg
    20170806_120217.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170806_004704.jpg
    20170806_004704.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 11
I should have specified, oops! I would only leave the coop door open to the full enclosed run, roof included. The closest friend who is willing to help is 20 minutes away so I was hoping not to inconvenience her.
Could you set up a camera that you can check from a distance?
Then if you do see a problem, you could ask your friend to come over and fix it.
(Maybe ask her in advance, so she is not surprised if you call her.)

Problems I can think of:
--food or water gets spilled
--predator gets in
--something falls on the coop and run or gets blown onto it (tree, lawn chair, etc)
--one chicken suddenly gets picked on by the others

None of these are very likely, but if you can see the chickens by camera, you can be reassured that they are fine. And if you do have to call your friend, she just comes over once to address it, instead of having the inconvenience of coming over several times just to check.

For two days I wouldn't bother with a sitter either. Provide them at least 4 days worth of food and water in at least two seperate areas.
Anyone had any success with ultrasonic devices keeping critters away?
Nope - I once watched a mouse walk 2 foot away from one of these anti-vermin ultrasonic things. However, if you only put it up during vacation so it's novel, that might work better than that one, which was going 24/7 for months.

Then if you do see a problem, you could ask your friend to come over and fix it.

Problems I can think of:
--predator gets in
--something falls on the coop and run or gets blown onto it (tree, lawn chair, etc)

None of these are very likely, but if you can see the chickens by camera, you can be reassured that they are fine. And if you do have to call your friend, she just comes over once to address it, instead of having the inconvenience of coming over several times just to check.
Camera is a good idea ... if you can get your hands on a trail camera for a while ... you can get a better idea of what is meandering by your coop now. Know the enemy.

Problems I can think of:
--predator gets in

That’s a really good idea! Then I’ll be less stressed for sure. Thank you!

For two days I wouldn't bother with a sitter either. Provide them at least 4 days worth of food and water in at least two seperate areas.

Nope - I once watched a mouse walk 2 foot away from one of these anti-vermin ultrasonic things. However, if you only put it up during vacation so it's novel, that might work better than that one, which was going 24/7 for months.
Geez that’s good to know. Bummer!

Back
Top Bottom