Leaving coop door open at night?

I have very secure runs and do not close the coop doors, I live in a very hot place and I need the coops door open for ventilation. I had never had a problem with predators getting in until this past 2 months. We had an unusual amount of snakes this spring due to a very mild winter and my neighbor not mowing his pasture. The snakes (5 of them) came into the run at different times in different days at night and scared my hens, no problem with eggs since I pick them up every evening. The real problem was the broody that I had sitting on eggs, a snake went into her cage (which I thought I had snake and mice proof). She lost three eggs before I was able to catch it. Needless to say, broody and eggs were moved into a better cage the next day. Once her babies were four weeks old, I moved them in the coop and closed the door every night. Babies are 6 weeks now and I have gone every inch of the run (which has hardware cloth buried a foot deep) and covered all the possible holes where a snake can come in. Now I don't close the coop door.
So it is very important to check for small holes all around including the roof of your run to see if any animal can get in. There were holes that I covered that I didn't even know were there until I looked very carefully.

No, I don't close my pop up door. Just makes the whole chicken chore thing much easier, if I don't get down there til 10:00 a.m. they are fine. If I am going to be gone over the week-end, it is not a big deal, just add plenty of water and feed. Longer than two day, and I like someone to check on them.

However, I would stop closing it while I was home. It will make you and the sitter much more confident that this is ok, and will work and be safe. Much better to find a mistake in the set up under your own responsibility, rather than to leave it to a sitter, and come home to a wreck.

Mrs K

Interesting discussion! We have two coops and runs. For the rooster coop, we have a cattle panel run covered in hardware cloth, but the area under the coop was only done in hw cloth. The roosters like their space from each other, so two started sleeping in the run. I decided that a dog or pack of coyotes could get through hw cloth alone, so I covered the hw cloth with heavier gauge wire before allowing the roosters to pick where they roost. For our main run, it’s hw cloth with a metal bird netting mesh roof. I don’t feel it’s completely safe, but the coop itself should be, so I make them all go in every night. I use an automatic door that opens first thing in the morning. I have had some situations where I’ve let birds sleep in the run, but I view it as a calculated risk.

My coop/hen house is located within a secured, enclosed run. I close the door to the coop once all the chickens have retired for the night and obviously open it for them to access the enclosed run in the morning. Rinse and repeat.

I have generous neighbors who volunteer to take over this duty if I am away on vacation or gone for the weekend. However, I've had to ask this a lot lately so I am thinking about just leaving it open this upcoming weekend. Does anyone ever do this?

Let me reiterate that the coop is located in a secured enclosure. Complete with buried hardware cloth, etc. We haven't had any issues with predators thus far.

I know this can depend on a number of factors but just curious as to how many people have done this or do it on a regular basis.

My girls are almost 1 year old , I have 9 hens,6 big girls and 3 bantams. When they were 16 weeks old ,It took about 2-3 nights of putting them in the coop at night before they figured it out. Now they put themselves to bed, into the coop from the run . I have a light in the coop that goes out at 30 minutes after sundown. they usually go inside the coop about 30 min. before sundown , some stay out later. I installed an automatic door which solved my issues of getting up at sunrise to open the door and night time to close it . That's just how I do it. I had not a clue what to do , so from all I read I preferred this method . Also in the winter I like for them to be in a warm cozy coop, closed up from the elements. Even our summer storms can be blowy and damp and wet. They should have a place of total protection. just my thoughts. I think if you have 1/2 inch hardware cloth . and protection from digging underneath in the run area you should be good. But only you know your surroundings and if predators are prevalent.

Back
Top Bottom