Leaving coop door open?

i built a 4x8 raised coop with a 15' x 20' run that is predator proof. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730144/started-on-my-coop i dont even have a door on my coop and the feeder stays out every night mounted under the coop. i have heard that its not a good idea to feed inside the coop because it gives them something to scratch for inside the coop and they will end up throwing all the shavings (or whatever you use on the floor) out the door and i didnt want that problem. the first night i had to persuade them (10 hens and 1 rooster) into the coop and place them on the roost but since then they all go inside just before dark all by them selves and get comfortable on the roost. takes no effort from me at all.

Last edited:
One thing that has not been mentioned is an automatic pop hole door opener. Can be bought or built. I'm going to build one for mine. Want them locked up securely at night, but not have to depend on me to let them out in the morning.

my run isn't predator proof, but my coop is pretty darn safe. i've invested in an automatic door. i absolutely love it. i still check every night to make sure nothing has gone awry, but on my time table. i look to see the door has in fact closed, & i look to see nobody got closed out, & i look at them on the roost to make sure everything is good. i don't bother going out in the morning because i can see that they are in fact out & everything is fine.
these doors have to be reset every month or so with the changing of the seasons to adjust to light changes. it's been pretty liberating for me.

Check out the photos on both My Coop and Hen House links.

Our pop door is only closed during a blizzard or hurricane.
Our feed tray and water table are both raised and situated permanently outside in a covered run.
(I do have the option of hanging our feed tray inside the coop to stay drier during a severe storm, and I did bring it in for this recent blast of blizzard.)

If you only have a skirt buried down or an "apron" going outwards around the edges I would say no. If you have a hardware cloth enclosed floor (I stitched the seams with wire) then I would say yes if additionally it is screwed with a fender washer every 4-6 inches; otherwise hungry rodents can get under and around a buried skirt/apron easily! Keep checking around for holes in the ground of the run. Good luck.

Last edited:

We have nightly visit from this raccoon. It has tried to dig its way into the run but we buried patio stones sideways in the ground all around the run and coop. We also used 1/2" hardware cloth. I would rather be safe than sorry so my chickens are locked up tight every night.

I guess I'll just have to see how things feel when the time comes. The coop will be 4x8 raised with an 8x?? Run. I do plan to use 1/2" hardware cloth, dig down to make an apron, and use the hardware cloth on top of the run as well. I expect it to be pretty solid. I may start out by locking them inside so they know where to roost, then start leaving the door open if I feel safe soon so.

Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom