"Leaving the Coop" advice

deebs

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Hello Folks-
I am a new owner of a small flock of Delaware Pullets. They are about 12 weeks old. I had been keeping them in a large pen with ample space for them to run around, with a roost. I finished their coop last week and moved them into their new home. They've been eating and drinking well, but they show no desire to leave the coop. I leave the door open and they wont even go near it. They also will not use the roost, and sleep on the floor. Do any of you have any advice as to how I can get them to get out in the fresh air? I have a large fenced in yard and I wouldn't mind them roaming around it. I am planning on building them a run so they can be outside unsupervised. Is there anything I can do to help them get in the habit of using the roost? I tried placing them on it but they kind of hop off and then stay off. The roost has two levels, one about a foot off the ground and another about two feet (stepped with room for them). Any advice you could give me would be a big help!

On my silkies and sex links I boot them out since their scared of the big ones but they huddle together outside and graze around.

Usually time and patience on your part
smile.png
do the trick. Their natural tendencies will kick in and they will get braver an explore their surroundings once "someone" else takes the first step and the roost seems to also be something they seek as they get older. I have a pen of mixed birds. Hatched in March, about half of the 14 are using the roost at night and the others are nesting as a group in the hay on the ground. I opened their door for the first time about mid week and other than one bird who stepped out for about 30 seconds and then scurried back they stayed inside for the day. Yesterday 4 of them got about 2 feet away from the door and found plenty to explore while still being close. The pen is inside my barn so the open space is a dirt floor of the aisle way but there is hay and other chickens in the area. Very open with no solid walls. More like a loafing shed style.

Thanks, that is basically what I thought but it is good to hear.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom