Lee County Florida, Changing Attitudes and Ordinances

Well, shame on me for suggesting this, but is it possible you could just get your chickens without permission? I don’t know how close your neighbors are but if you checked with them, they probably wouldn’t mind. Some breeds are quieter than others, so that would be a considerationAnd, of course, no roosters. if you have enough land, you could keep them without your neighbors, even knowing. Provided you have a fence for the chickens. I really have gotten a lot of pleasure besides delicious eggs out of my chickens and I hope you’re able to do the same! Good luck.
😄 I have chicken and quails. Quails are laying chicks are not older enough. My son is also in 4-H, loophole.
However I want those who want them to have them. Well most people anyway.
I am also for educating others AND safety of the fluffy butts.
So......how many chickens can you have down there in naples?
I need to find someone close, who could take chickens IF they were taken from someone not property caring for them.
I am absolutely thinking of every avenue and have a plan in place!

Looking for guidance and advice on how to change attitudes and ordinances for chickens in residential areas, including unincorporated Lee County florida.
We, myself and another, are currently in research stages.
It has been tried 3 times previously. All hit a wall at some point. Fort myers has an ordinance for backyard chickens.
Has anyone been involved in helping to change your local ordinances? Doesn't need to be florida.
Are any members here that were apart of any of the previous attempts?
If anyone is local, do you live on agricultural land? Would you be interested in being a chicken rescue?
I have so many questions!
Any advice, information and guidance is welcome.
Thank you
All I can offer is encouragement. Our city, the largest HOA in Florida, finally allows 4 hens. So, if they can cave, any town can! One good point I saw was the project that was done in Poland where they reduced landfill waste by 100 tons the first month by giving away 3 chickens per family. It also eliminated the egg market. Keep up the fight!

I'm not near you but we were successful in changing our town's bylaw two years ago by getting organized. presenting deputations at council meetings, and citing other municipalities and pilot programs that have been successful. citing food security is important too, and ethical treatment of hens, and access to eggs.

Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.
I have just moved to Florida into a residential area in Lehigh Acres and my next door neighbor has Chickens. He the same as us lives on 1/2 an acre of land. We have no issue with his Chickens whatsoever..... BUT and it's a BIG BUT .... We totally disagree with his 2 Roosters !!!!
we are woken any time between 4:30am to 6am by these Roosters and we have to listen to them going on ALL DAY LONG till around 6pm each night.
We have kept the doors and windows closed and we are still disturbed by them.
When I tried to calmly talk to him about them saying we need to talk about the roosters all he would say was and I quote... Welcome to the country this is not a city get use to it.
We can't enjoy our pool as it's about 50 feet from his roosters.
These are the types of people that cause the city to refuse to allow Chickens.

My neighbor has a rooster that starts at about 5:00 and goes on until dark. With our impact rated windows, we can't hear it inside.
That's ok as long as you stay indoors with the windows closed lol.
We like to enjoy our back yard and pool but the roosters are non stop.
As I said the chickens are no problem at all.

Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!
Howdy neighbor! I recently heard there was some talk about chickens in collier county at a recent meeting. Unfortunately I can't find anything on it.....

I have just moved to Florida into a residential area in Lehigh Acres and my next door neighbor has Chickens. He the same as us lives on 1/2 an acre of land. We have no issue with his Chickens whatsoever..... BUT and it's a BIG BUT .... We totally disagree with his 2 Roosters !!!!
we are woken any time between 4:30am to 6am by these Roosters and we have to listen to them going on ALL DAY LONG till around 6pm each night.
We have kept the doors and windows closed and we are still disturbed by them.
When I tried to calmly talk to him about them saying we need to talk about the roosters all he would say was and I quote... Welcome to the country this is not a city get use to it.
We can't enjoy our pool as it's about 50 feet from his roosters.
These are the types of people that cause the city to refuse to allow Chickens.
I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?

I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?

I live in Escambia County, FL and this is the ordinance for raising chickens and there are restrictions on having roosters and a limited number of hens in particular areas of the county.

Code of Ordinances PART III - LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE Chapter 4 - LOCATION AND USE REGULATIONS ARTICLE 7. - SUPPLEMENTAL USE REGULATIONS
Chickens and single-family dwellings. The ownership, possession, and raising of live chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) is an allowe
I’m quite sure that Lee County has an ordinance that explains where you are allowed to raise chickens (hens & roosters). Once you have read ordinance and if they are in violation of the ordinance, notify your neighbor of the ordinance and you don’t want to be that neighbor, to report them of the violation, let’s come to terms and remove the roosters (if he is in violation of the ordinance). If not report them to code enforcement. If you live in a subdivision that has a HOA, check the rules on raising chickens in your subdivision

I live in Escambia County, FL and this is the ordinance for raising chickens and there are restrictions on having roosters and a limited number of hens in particular areas of the county.

Code of Ordinances PART III - LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE Chapter 4 - LOCATION AND USE REGULATIONS ARTICLE 7. - SUPPLEMENTAL USE REGULATIONS
Chickens and single-family dwellings. The ownership, possession, and raising of live chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) is an allowe
I’m quite sure that Lee County has an ordinance that explains where you are allowed to raise chickens (hens & roosters). Once you have read ordinance and if they are in violation of the ordinance, notify your neighbor of the ordinance and you don’t want to be that neighbor, to report them of the violation, let’s come to terms and remove the roosters (if he is in violation of the ordinance). If not report them to code enforcement. If you live in a subdivision that has a HOA, check the rules on raising chickens in your subdivision
Trust me when I tell you. We are not allow chickens. Unless you live in Agricultural land. Fort myers allows 4 hens and so does Bonita springs. The rest of lee county including unincorporated Lee County is an absolute no. Unless you have a child in 4-h

Back
Top Bottom