Lee County Florida, Changing Attitudes and Ordinances

FeatherMomma

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
Looking for guidance and advice on how to change attitudes and ordinances for chickens in residential areas, including unincorporated Lee County florida.
We, myself and another, are currently in research stages.
It has been tried 3 times previously. All hit a wall at some point. Fort myers has an ordinance for backyard chickens.
Has anyone been involved in helping to change your local ordinances? Doesn't need to be florida.
Are any members here that were apart of any of the previous attempts?
If anyone is local, do you live on agricultural land? Would you be interested in being a chicken rescue?
I have so many questions!
Any advice, information and guidance is welcome.
Thank you

I'm not near you but we were successful in changing our town's bylaw two years ago by getting organized. presenting deputations at council meetings, and citing other municipalities and pilot programs that have been successful. citing food security is important too, and ethical treatment of hens, and access to eggs.

More than a decade ago my mom was interviewed on the local news as part of an effort to make backyard chickens legal in Lehigh. It was no use at the time. It's so densely packed with retirees who feel it's beneath their retirement standards in their neighborhoods. We moved to central Fl where there's lots of agricultural areas.

Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!
Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.

Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.
Well, shame on me for suggesting this, but is it possible you could just get your chickens without permission? I don’t know how close your neighbors are but if you checked with them, they probably wouldn’t mind. Some breeds are quieter than others, so that would be a considerationAnd, of course, no roosters. if you have enough land, you could keep them without your neighbors, even knowing. Provided you have a fence for the chickens. I really have gotten a lot of pleasure besides delicious eggs out of my chickens and I hope you’re able to do the same! Good luck.

Looking for guidance and advice on how to change attitudes and ordinances for chickens in residential areas, including unincorporated Lee County florida.
We, myself and another, are currently in research stages.
It has been tried 3 times previously. All hit a wall at some point. Fort myers has an ordinance for backyard chickens.
Has anyone been involved in helping to change your local ordinances? Doesn't need to be florida.
Are any members here that were apart of any of the previous attempts?
If anyone is local, do you live on agricultural land? Would you be interested in being a chicken rescue?
I have so many questions!
Any advice, information and guidance is welcome.
Thank you
All I can offer is encouragement. Our city, the largest HOA in Florida, finally allows 4 hens. So, if they can cave, any town can! One good point I saw was the project that was done in Poland where they reduced landfill waste by 100 tons the first month by giving away 3 chickens per family. It also eliminated the egg market. Keep up the fight!

My neighbor has a rooster that starts at about 5:00 and goes on until dark. With our impact rated windows, we can't hear it inside.
That's ok as long as you stay indoors with the windows closed lol.
We like to enjoy our back yard and pool but the roosters are non stop.
As I said the chickens are no problem at all.

I have just moved to Florida into a residential area in Lehigh Acres and my next door neighbor has Chickens. He the same as us lives on 1/2 an acre of land. We have no issue with his Chickens whatsoever..... BUT and it's a BIG BUT .... We totally disagree with his 2 Roosters !!!!
we are woken any time between 4:30am to 6am by these Roosters and we have to listen to them going on ALL DAY LONG till around 6pm each night.
We have kept the doors and windows closed and we are still disturbed by them.
When I tried to calmly talk to him about them saying we need to talk about the roosters all he would say was and I quote... Welcome to the country this is not a city get use to it.
We can't enjoy our pool as it's about 50 feet from his roosters.
These are the types of people that cause the city to refuse to allow Chickens.
I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?

They are eastern European and she speaks very little English.
I will give it another week or so then I'll have no choice but to report it as it's now stopping us enjoying our home.
If that happens he will lose his chickens as well.
His choice I just want the roosters gone.
I understand completely. Yes I want to change the attitude of the board members and therefore the laws. But I am not so heartless as to not understand that everyone is also effected by those as well.
He should be willing to at least figure out a way to help them crow less or find another home if he is unable too.

No expert here, by any means. I've done and am sure I still do plenty of things wrong. I manage to keep a few birds alive and collect some eggs. That's all.
Feel free to private message me. I don't know anything about what it takes to change these things, but I am interested in helping it happen.

Back
Top Bottom