Lee County Florida, Changing Attitudes and Ordinances

Would it possible to ask your mom how they approached it? What information was researched and attempted?
I know it's been tried 3 times (I think anyway) and each time it did not go through.
I want to figure out how to go over, under or around that wall.
We desperately are going to need it!
Something wicked this way comes.
Rent here is over $1800 to $2000, I shockingly learned this morning.
I know that raising a flock doesn't equal cheaper either. But it means food security. AND that is what we need.
Would it possible to ask your mom how they approached it? What information was researched and attempted?
I know it's been tried 3 times (I think anyway) and each time it did not go through.
I want to figure out how to go over, under or around that wall.
We desperately are going to need it!
Something wicked this way comes.
Rent here is over $1800 to $2000, I shockingly learned this morning.
I know that raising a flock doesn't equal cheaper either. But it means food security. AND that is what we need.
Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!

Well, shame on me for suggesting this, but is it possible you could just get your chickens without permission? I don’t know how close your neighbors are but if you checked with them, they probably wouldn’t mind. Some breeds are quieter than others, so that would be a considerationAnd, of course, no roosters. if you have enough land, you could keep them without your neighbors, even knowing. Provided you have a fence for the chickens. I really have gotten a lot of pleasure besides delicious eggs out of my chickens and I hope you’re able to do the same! Good luck.
😄 I have chicken and quails. Quails are laying chicks are not older enough. My son is also in 4-H, loophole.
However I want those who want them to have them. Well most people anyway.
I am also for educating others AND safety of the fluffy butts.
So......how many chickens can you have down there in naples?
I need to find someone close, who could take chickens IF they were taken from someone not property caring for them.
I am absolutely thinking of every avenue and have a plan in place!

Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.
I have just moved to Florida into a residential area in Lehigh Acres and my next door neighbor has Chickens. He the same as us lives on 1/2 an acre of land. We have no issue with his Chickens whatsoever..... BUT and it's a BIG BUT .... We totally disagree with his 2 Roosters !!!!
we are woken any time between 4:30am to 6am by these Roosters and we have to listen to them going on ALL DAY LONG till around 6pm each night.
We have kept the doors and windows closed and we are still disturbed by them.
When I tried to calmly talk to him about them saying we need to talk about the roosters all he would say was and I quote... Welcome to the country this is not a city get use to it.
We can't enjoy our pool as it's about 50 feet from his roosters.
These are the types of people that cause the city to refuse to allow Chickens.

Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!
Howdy neighbor! I recently heard there was some talk about chickens in collier county at a recent meeting. Unfortunately I can't find anything on it.....

I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?

I live in Escambia County, FL and this is the ordinance for raising chickens and there are restrictions on having roosters and a limited number of hens in particular areas of the county.

Code of Ordinances PART III - LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE Chapter 4 - LOCATION AND USE REGULATIONS ARTICLE 7. - SUPPLEMENTAL USE REGULATIONS
Chickens and single-family dwellings. The ownership, possession, and raising of live chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) is an allowe
I’m quite sure that Lee County has an ordinance that explains where you are allowed to raise chickens (hens & roosters). Once you have read ordinance and if they are in violation of the ordinance, notify your neighbor of the ordinance and you don’t want to be that neighbor, to report them of the violation, let’s come to terms and remove the roosters (if he is in violation of the ordinance). If not report them to code enforcement. If you live in a subdivision that has a HOA, check the rules on raising chickens in your subdivision

I live in Escambia County, FL and this is the ordinance for raising chickens and there are restrictions on having roosters and a limited number of hens in particular areas of the county.

Code of Ordinances PART III - LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE Chapter 4 - LOCATION AND USE REGULATIONS ARTICLE 7. - SUPPLEMENTAL USE REGULATIONS
Chickens and single-family dwellings. The ownership, possession, and raising of live chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) is an allowe
I’m quite sure that Lee County has an ordinance that explains where you are allowed to raise chickens (hens & roosters). Once you have read ordinance and if they are in violation of the ordinance, notify your neighbor of the ordinance and you don’t want to be that neighbor, to report them of the violation, let’s come to terms and remove the roosters (if he is in violation of the ordinance). If not report them to code enforcement. If you live in a subdivision that has a HOA, check the rules on raising chickens in your subdivision
Trust me when I tell you. We are not allow chickens. Unless you live in Agricultural land. Fort myers allows 4 hens and so does Bonita springs. The rest of lee county including unincorporated Lee County is an absolute no. Unless you have a child in 4-h

I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?
They are eastern European and she speaks very little English.
I will give it another week or so then I'll have no choice but to report it as it's now stopping us enjoying our home.
If that happens he will lose his chickens as well.
His choice I just want the roosters gone.

Hi y'all.
I started keeping chickens about 40 years ago when we lived on agricultural acreage in southeast Fort Myers. My wife and I built a house out near the northeast corner of Lehigh 30 years ago and have been flying under the radar with a small backyard flock ever since. We've been lucky. We're in sparsely populated area with neighbors that live and let live. I'm afraid things may change since they've been building like crazy out here since COVID. I quit keeping rosters years ago as we slowly got more neighbors.
I've never been involved in the ordinance battle but would certainly give it my support if there's a group working on it.
All it takes is one new resident who wants to "straighten out" the neighborhood.
You know the type. 🧐

Hi y'all.
I started keeping chickens about 40 years ago when we lived on agricultural acreage in southeast Fort Myers. My wife and I built a house out near the northeast corner of Lehigh 30 years ago and have been flying under the radar with a small backyard flock ever since. We've been lucky. We're in sparsely populated area with neighbors that live and let live. I'm afraid things may change since they've been building like crazy out here since COVID. I quit keeping rosters years ago as we slowly got more neighbors.
I've never been involved in the ordinance battle but would certainly give it my support if there's a group working on it.
All it takes is one new resident who wants to "straighten out" the neighborhood.
You know the type. 🧐
40 years?! You must have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share.
Be nice if the Karen's can stay out of others business 😆
May I message you privately? That sounds odd probably. Trying to keep this under our hats.
As a chicken owner of 40 years and a neighbor, maybe i can learn from your experiences. And maybe you'll join our research and battle. But not publicly. I don't wish for anyone to publicly join that doesn't want too.
Ok, definitely a weird response from me. I'm blaming it on the lack of sleep and the amount of research I have done lately 🙃

Back
Top Bottom