left for 8 days

Carson213

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
West Coast
We just left home for 8 days...first time for so long during COVID. with 24 chickens...auto chicken run door, gravity water, hog feeder, and seedling heated roll outs...no biggie. i did have people stopping by every other day to grab eggs...but not to give them food or water...and the roll outs could have handled the eggs anyway. i looked in the hog feeder and they only ate about 1/3 of it. in my opinion, a heated 50 gallon food safe barrel for water and a hog feeder that holds 3-4 50lb bags of feed is the best way to go. i use a rubber maid container for a big dust bath and a trough for oyster shells. i also have their roosts about 8 feet high in the event the power is out so that if the coop door doesn’t close...they are high up. i could run it on battery but where i live power doesn’t go out more than a few times a year for more than a few hours.

We just left home for 8 days...first time for so long during COVID. with 24 chickens...auto chicken run door, gravity water, hog feeder, and seedling heated roll outs...no biggie. i did have people stopping by every other day to grab eggs...but not to give them food or water...and the roll outs could have handled the eggs anyway. i looked in the hog feeder and they only ate about 1/3 of it. in my opinion, a heated 50 gallon food safe barrel for water and a hog feeder that holds 3-4 50lb bags of feed is the best way to go. i use a rubber maid container for a big dust bath and a trough for oyster shells. i also have their roosts about 8 feet high in the event the power is out so that if the coop door doesn’t close...they are high up. i could run it on battery but where i live power doesn’t go out more than a few times a year for more than a few hours.
I’m guessing you don’t live in...Texas ;)

where i live
Where do you live?

Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615207110206.png

Back
Top Bottom