1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Left over cedar planks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leanimal, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Leanimal

Leanimal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I have a ton of 1x4x6's cedar planks left over from my fence. How can I use them as siding when they don't line up exactly? Any ideas how to make it weatherproof? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Leanimal

Sep 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

We're going to try the board and board method!

3. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Can do that too....for me, building a pallet coop, I have natural small spaces in the siding since it is on pallets...so on inside of coop I am putting up OSB for walls...which will take care of drafts/potential leaks thru the walls. OSB is being painted with a latex/primer to seal it.

4. Leanimal

Sep 15, 2014
    Yeah! We're trying to buy as little material as possible. So we'll see how well sealed the board and board works. We might even use some silicone if there are few enough gaps. We're also worried about adding osb due to the structural support as we're putting a green roof on it :) don't want it to be too heavy!

5. Redbourbon

Redbourbon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    central Maine
    Beware the cedar is toxic to chickens if used as bedding prob just boards for the coop would be fine,,just a thaught check it out??

6. Leanimal

Sep 15, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I've done some research and everything is hearsay ranging from instant death to they'll be fine. Facts and research are hard to find. From what I can tell, as long as it's aired out wood, plenty of ventilation in the coop, and cedar lumber (not shavings or the closet liner stuff) The chickens will be ok.

7. Redbourbon

Redbourbon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    central Maine
    We have cedar nesting boxes and no problems but have heard lots of hearsay also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by