Left them outside in the run

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
I moved my chickens from one side of the house to the other side of the house. I only have 4 bantams so a large 16 sq ft dog house is what I am using and I moved their pen.

They have not gotten used to the idea of staying in their new coop yet and last night it started pouring down rain about 8 so I just left them locked in their pen which has a net roof.
This morning they are all still there. How can I convince them to go inside of their smaller new coop. The 4 minis used to have a huge cement shed before I moved them. I need to teach them to go inside their new coop to roost at night instead of staying loose in the pen.
Any ideas?
thanks so much

thanks so much. I will try. They seem to be claustrophobic of the 4'x4' coop after being spoiled with a big 10x10 building.
sad.png

I will try to put a light in there tonight. Their food bowl is already there, maybe I will cut some fresh vegetables and lay them in a trail leading to a big heap inside
roll.png

The trail of chicken feed did not work last night. The light might do the trick with more temptiing food. I will update you all.

Just pick them up and PUT them in the coop. That is far, far safer than leaving them out.

Also make sure the coop has enough windows (or a nightlight, but windows are better) that they can see to go in there -- remember chickens have terrible night vision and when it's dusk outside it can be really dark in an insufficiently windowed coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I wonder if a circular saw can sit straight into the side of a wooden building so I can cut out a window? I will cover it with hardware wire but I am wondering how to cut straight into the side of a wooden building without getting too many more gray hairs?

PS I already added vents by using a hole saw on a drill. That was easy enough, but the window seems a bit harder to cut for an amateur like me.
I will try.
sad.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to pick mine up and put them in, but then I realised they are afraid of the dark, and I started putting a light in their coop when the sun went down, it lures them in
wink.png

Quote:
Enh, you can sort of do that in some situations but you'd better have a good saw and be very familiar with it and not too concerned about safety.

There is a much much easier safer way, which is to use a 1/2" drill bit to put holes in the corners and then cut between them with a power jigsaw or manual hole saw, if it's a plywood wall. Or for a wall made with dimensional lumber, use a hole saw for the corners and then a reciprocating saw to cut between them. If you the dislike rounded corners (on either version) you can always clean them out to square once the hole is cut. Personally I leave 'em rounded
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I do have a night light in my coop. In the beginning every evening I would put some scratch grains in the coop to encourage them to go in. Now they go in and no more treats. As I got them used to it I cut back on the treats. I did shut them in for a few days in the beginning to get them used to their coop then started the treats in the evenings.

Back
Top Bottom