Leftover Baking Treat???

Red Glory

Hatching
Feb 22, 2018
Hi I've just joined the group. We've been keeping Chicken's for about 10 years now. I'm a keen baker and I have some leftover Honey cake made using my friend's local organic honey. I'm wondering if I can give some to the brood. Thanks guys in advance for your advice.
Red Glory
England .

I give my chickens leftovers all the time. French fries are their favorite - but they only get them about once a month or so, and only one per bird allowed, lol! This morning they got the leftover canned tomatoes from last nights supper, I mixed the tomatoes with rolled outs to make it easier to feed out and they went nuts for it.
They have never shown any ill effects. I think if they were getting junk food as a large portion of their diet it would be a problem, but occasional treats are simply that, treats.
Lucky chickens to get Honey Cake, just the name sounds yummy.

This is pretty basic but I think it gets the point across about feeding treats:
http://articles.extension.org/pages/69065/feeding-chickens-for-egg-production
I get the point of the article and I am not going to disagree with what is being said, but the reason I raise chickens is to give them a better life than "Production" chickens get. My life got pretty hectic and I was working a lot of overtime for a while and my chickens basically only got commercial feed to eat. It was a toss a bucket of feed into the feeder, gather eggs before supper and that's it kinda life for about 3 weeks. After that time, the eggs were very similar to store bought eggs - bland, pale, not at all like what we had been getting.
I like the eggs that my chickens lay when they get to free-range and they get treats. The taste, color of the yolk, and the texture are all so much superior to store eggs. Although I have to second the "don't feed strong tasting foods to your chickens" bit. I read that fish was a good supplement for protein, so i threw some extra fish to my chickens one summer. We had a slightly fishy tasting eggs - still better than store bought, though.

Shouldn't be an issue. We had leftover doughnuts and kolaches at work yesterday. I put them in the run and they magically disappeared. This does not happen often. The dogs were upset they didn't get all of them.

Fwiw...I feed treats too
Shouldn't be an issue. We had leftover doughnuts and kolaches at work yesterday. I put them in the run and they magically disappeared. This does not happen often. The dogs were upset they didn't get all of them.
:barnie:barnie:barnie

:lau

Back
Top Bottom