Treats to make with mash? Wound up witha surplus needing ideas.

barky

Chirping
Oct 6, 2022
I came across an enormous amount of feed for cheap, and it turned out to not be a full nutrition feed. I will be feeding it as scratch. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for treats made from the feed pictured below? Just looking for some ideas. Thank you!
Feed.jpeg

Last edited:
You mean like make mash then bake into treats? I wouldn't go to the trouble since they do like mash itself....... Many years ago when I fell for the You Tube lady's recipe of making your own feed only to discover it was not even remotely covering chicken nutritional needs, I was able to plant it! I had enough seed in there like sunflower and millet that it grew a nice patch of grass behind my coop and let the chickens eat it. Yours doesnt have much for full seed so I think I'd use it as wild bird food. Just an idea. Good on you for realizing it's not what they need as a main diet.

You mean like make mash then bake into treats? I wouldn't go to the trouble since they do like mash itself....... Many years ago when I fell for the You Tube lady's recipe of making your own feed only to discover it was not even remotely covering chicken nutritional needs, I was able to plant it! I had enough seed in there like sunflower and millet that it grew a nice patch of grass behind my coop and let the chickens eat it. Yours doesnt have much for full seed so I think I'd use it as wild bird food. Just an idea. Good on you for realizing it's not what they need as a main diet.
I'm just trying to see if there's a way to use it as stimulation for them. Mine unfortunately are not free range so I try to give them as much "play" as I can.

I also am not sure if I'm using the word mash correctly. I was using it to reference the milled grain in the picture. If that is not it I'll glady take the correction lol.

I'm just trying to see if there's a way to use it as stimulation for them. Mine unfortunately are not free range so I try to give them as much "play" as I can.

I also am not sure if I'm using the word mash correctly. I was using it to reference the milled grain in the picture. If that is not it I'll glady take the correction lol.
I'm sure you're right. "Mash," could be the right way to describe the dry grinded feed OR to describe fermented before it's fermented (water added.) I add water to my feed powder to make a "mash," and the chickens love it for whatever reason. That's how I'd use this, add water and offer as a sort of side dish, also offering the full nutrition main diet.... I'd be careful about levels though, they will start to decline if they dont get what they need. I'd also toss it out to wild birds. The little song birds outside of my coop love it....

I'm sure you're right. "Mash," could be the right way to describe the dry grinded feed OR to describe fermented before it's fermented (water added.) I add water to my feed powder to make a "mash," and the chickens love it for whatever reason. That's how I'd use this, add water and offer as a sort of side dish, also offering the full nutrition main diet.... I'd be careful about levels though, they will start to decline if they dont get what they need. I'd also toss it out to wild birds. The little song birds outside of my coop love it....
Okay, thank you! I will be giving some to my grandma as well, she loves feeding the birds. I have been adding water to it and feeding already. So I will continue on my path. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom