Winter treat/activity ideas

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
I am looking for ideas for treats and activities for chickens in winter. This is our flock's first winter; and they are used to always being able to free range and forage. We don't want them to pick on each other if they get bored; they need something fun to do. We were thinking about making a sort of jungle gym for them like this one online:
1699033105012.png

Does anyone have any pictures of treat setups or "jungle gyms" they use? Or any treats that their chickens especially love that are good to feed in winter?
Thanks in advance! :)

I am looking for ideas for treats and activities for chickens in winter. This is our flock's first winter; and they are used to always being able to free range and forage. We don't want them to pick on each other if they get bored; they need something fun to do. We were thinking about making a sort of jungle gym for them like this one online:
View attachment 3675328

Does anyone have any pictures of treat setups or "jungle gyms" they use? Or any treats that their chickens especially love that are good to feed in winter?
Thanks in advance! :)
My hens LOVE warm oatmeal when it gets cold, it’s more a treat than an activity. I usually make mine with garlic,chili flakes,oregano, thyme,raisins and other herbs that helps their system. I sometimes put a bit of cod liver oil in too as it has a lot of vitamins and helps with their immune system😊
All my hens go crazy for it

My hens LOVE warm oatmeal when it gets cold, it’s more a treat than an activity. I usually make mine with garlic,chili flakes,oregano, thyme,raisins and other herbs that helps their system. I sometimes put a bit of cod liver oil in too as it has a lot of vitamins and helps with their immune system😊
All my hens go crazy for it
We've fed out oatmeal before; they loved it! (They were sneezing and wiping their beaks all over my clothes because the texture was new lol)

Good idea to add those ingredients in!

We've fed out oatmeal before; they loved it! (They were sneezing and wiping their beaks all over my clothes because the texture was new lol)

Good idea to add those ingredients in!
I'd recommend doing it with their regular feed as opposed to oatmeal. It will maintain a proper nutritional intake and they'll love it just the same.

I've hung a cabbage before and they weren't too into it. They were just a few weeks though :idunno Maybe I'll try again!
My hens doesn’t like cabbage either, I usually give them either a cucumber and hang it up, I usually cut the ends off just because mine love the inside of it(I mostly do it in summer though) I still do it in winter if mine are showing signs of boredom or if it’s raining a lot and a sad weather. they also love pumpkin and I just give them the carved pumpkins left from Halloween with the seeds and stuff put in it😊

Our chicken run that is about a half an acre used to be all golden rod weeds. I was a mess. After we built or chicken coop, I went down and chopped all of them down one by one - it might sound really crazy - and weaved it all together. I would cut the ends off - the flower part and put it on the ground - I also took a wooden ladder for them to roost on and put it inside. They loved it. I don't have a picture of it though.

Our chicken run that is about a half an acre used to be all golden rod weeds. I was a mess. After we built or chicken coop, I went down and chopped all of them down one by one - it might sound really crazy - and weaved it all together. I would cut the ends off - the flower part and put it on the ground - I also took a wooden ladder for them to roost on and put it inside. They loved it. I don't have a picture of it though.
Wow! That’s so neat!!

Back
Top Bottom