What to do about protein?

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We make our own ration of whole grain feed. We do half a portion of grains dry and half of grains fermented. Everything is going excellent and birds are laying better then they even have even considering itā€™s winter in ND. Not many hours of daylight šŸ¤Æ We do use soy meal and noticed when I donā€™t feed them a treat of mash there is a considerable amount of ā€œdustā€ left in their feeders. We do a few things to use the end dust but we really want it to all stick and everyone get their full amount of vitamins and minerals too. We do have a few hanging feeders and the wet binders will cause a problem when it gets -0 here.

What does everyone use for added protein that is also a binder. Any ideas of binders that arenā€™t even a protein that is inexpensive. We buy 2000lbs at a time if feeds and saving would always be amazing!

Attachments

• 26AB975F-2B36-45E6-8265-B2582D0BDE14.jpeg
    26AB975F-2B36-45E6-8265-B2582D0BDE14.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Not sure if you ever researched sugar beet molasses. Here is an article where it refers to it used as a binder only once though on top of page 2.

It's sold in powder form such as here, but is only 6% protein so not sure that fits the bill for you or not.

Normally, I'd hop in here, but... I don't get winter. A couple days south of freezing, so I have no practical experience, particularly in those volumes. In my climate I'd suggest yogurt, which freezes at slightly lower temp, since you are already fermenting... But Yogurt only drops your freeze point to about 27F.

I don't know of any chicken appropriate liquid that isn't rock hard at 0F, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom