Winter treat/activity ideas

We also got two treat dispensers at Tractor Supply. One is a hanging treat holder with a bell on it, and one is a ball that we can fill with scratch and they roll it around. They like them a lot, which is surprising! (The yellow ball scared them at first though lol)
View attachment 3692623 View attachment 3692624
I have three of the lixit (yellow) balls, but I fill it with speciality pellets. Their normal food is crumble textured, so the pellets are something fun and new.

I've also had a lot of success with Omlet's pendant and poppy peck toys. The best filler I've found is Purina Layer Pearls. They have the perfect consistency to easily fall through the holes, but it still takes the chickens 2-3 days to finish them off.

Pepper and Mushroom demonstrating the versatility of the treat ball. If your chickens are apprehensive, I strongly suggest filling it with black soldier fly larvae to get them started. Mine are willing to get outside their comfort zone for a tasty grub!

I did a fall treat with our dry ration of whole grains and seeds, added some corn meal and a little molasses for a binder, carrots, a little peanut butter and honestly stuff they love that would work!

Also, we are in ND so I feed them a lamb tallow suet!
I'd be careful not to over do these or the tallow, you don't want to overdo the fat. It doesn't help them keep warm. ;]

I'd be careful not to over do these or the tallow, you don't want to overdo the fat. It doesn't help them keep warm. ;]
That's why I was apprehensive about feeding suet blocks. I want healthy treats, not fattening ones.
I got a suet cake with mealworms, I was thinking of giving a third of it to the chickens, and the rest to our wild birds. Do you think this would be ok?

That's why I was apprehensive about feeding suet blocks. I want healthy treats, not fattening ones.
I got a suet cake with mealworms, I was thinking of giving a third of it to the chickens, and the rest to our wild birds. Do you think this would be ok?
A third or a fourth, maybe once a week or longer shouldn't hurt.

Our chicken run that is about a half an acre used to be all golden rod weeds. I was a mess. After we built or chicken coop, I went down and chopped all of them down one by one - it might sound really crazy - and weaved it all together. I would cut the ends off - the flower part and put it on the ground - I also took a wooden ladder for them to roost on and put it inside. They loved it. I don't have a picture of it though.
I wish you had a photo! by the way, goldenrod (solidago) isn't a weed, it's a really important keystone species in North America where it's native. it supports many many pollinators and birds.

by the way, goldenrod (solidago) isn't a weed, it's a really important keystone species in North America where it's native. it supports many many pollinators and birds.
I agree! Goldenrod is one of my favorite plants for that reason. I am big on helping pollinators with native plants, so I have it in my flower garden for some late season nectar and pollen. It is by far the best bee attractant I have ever had; I definitely think people should grow it more often! :D

Back
Top Bottom