Leftover "dust" from feed

ikemiker

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 5, 2016
My 13 week old hens are on Dumor grower/finisher feed. They'll eat all the little grape-nut sized pieces, but leave all the finer "dust" behind. It seems pretty wasteful for them not to eat it. I tried mixing it with warm water to make sort of a pasty-textured porridge for them, but no interest.

Should I just not give them more food until they've eaten all of what they've been given? Any other suggestions for what I can do with the dust?

:) Jen

My 13 week old hens are on Dumor grower/finisher feed. They'll eat all the little grape-nut sized pieces, but leave all the finer "dust" behind. It seems pretty wasteful for them not to eat it. I tried mixing it with warm water to make sort of a pasty-textured porridge for them, but no interest.

Should I just not give them more food until they've eaten all of what they've been given? Any other suggestions for what I can do with the dust?

Hi Jen,

Just sprinkle some of the feed crumbles on the top and take the other food away. They'll eat it.
smile.png
What works for me is to not add to much water, and leave it kind of damp chunks, not wet. (If that makes sense.) Since mine are molting I've been mixing a raw egg into it to give some extra protein.

Good luck!

That's a good idea.

I keep my "dust" in a covered plastic container and mix up a small bowl every so often, or use it to coat soft foods like leftover fruits and veggies. Best to not mix up more than they'll eat in a little while.

Im

Ha

:) Jen[/QUOTE

I'm having same problem with same brand feed. I was considering the dust waste, and I'm starting to look at other types of feed.

I hated seeing the waste too so I started adding warm water, apple sauce, or kefir to it and feeding it as a thick oatmeal consistency. They love it, I put it out in the early morning and its gone fast. I also do ferment feed too but they don't care for it as much.

Back
Top Bottom