1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leftover "dust" from feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ikemiker, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ikemiker

ikemiker Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    My 13 week old hens are on Dumor grower/finisher feed. They'll eat all the little grape-nut sized pieces, but leave all the finer "dust" behind. It seems pretty wasteful for them not to eat it. I tried mixing it with warm water to make sort of a pasty-textured porridge for them, but no interest.

Should I just not give them more food until they've eaten all of what they've been given? Any other suggestions for what I can do with the dust?

:) Jen

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Jen,

Just sprinkle some of the feed crumbles on the top and take the other food away. They'll eat it. [​IMG] What works for me is to not add to much water, and leave it kind of damp chunks, not wet. (If that makes sense.) Since mine are molting I've been mixing a raw egg into it to give some extra protein.

Good luck!

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Wet feed sours really fast....I know it is a waste..I have cooked macaroni for my hens and sprinkled the dust on it and then they gobble it right up...Try that...

Cheers!

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    That's a good idea.

I keep my "dust" in a covered plastic container and mix up a small bowl every so often, or use it to coat soft foods like leftover fruits and veggies. Best to not mix up more than they'll eat in a little while.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Fermenting the feed uses the dust. Or, just don't give them more until they eat all of what they have. Those are the two methods I use.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Get a duck. She'll clean it up and give you a nice big egg as well.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I mix the feed dust with scratch grains and toss on the ground, as a treat twice a day. GC

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    FF totally eliminates that issue along with all other issues of wasted feed. Also makes it impossible for rodents to easily transport it back to the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by