Leftover turkey suggestions???

bulldog-girl

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Estacada, OR
I am sure this is discussed every year but I am fairly new. My family is now officially sick of turkey. I have cooked 4 so far with the prices being so cheap and canned lots of stock for soup. I was thinking about sour cream enchiladas with turkey instead of chicken later this week but wondered what was everyone else's favorite ways to use the leftovers.

PS-Still have 8 turkeys in the freezer to use through the year.
yippiechickie.gif

shred it with bbq sauce for sandwiches or on a soft shell tortilla! super yum!

just throw in the crock pot with the sauce and let it cook away.

also, what about making dough, roll out in a rectangle. fill middle with turkey, cheese and whatever you would want on a hot turkey sandwich. then slit sides and weave over the big sandwich. bake at 350 for 30 minutes and it is an awesome meal. kind of like a calazone, but you can put whatever you want.

turkey sandwich, turkey salad, turkey in soup, turkey stir fried with all kinds of vegetables, turkey snack, turkey with bread and a salad next to it.
Everything you eat with all kinds of meat you can use turkey instead.
Put different seasoning on different dishes for different tast.
Fried rice with turkey, pasta with turkey and mushroom sauce.
Mac and cheese with tiny slices of turkey on the top.
Good luck
tongue2.gif
frow.gif

we do 3 things...

#1--chunk it, and combine with a can of cream of celery soup, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 c. sour cream and 4oz shredded cheddar cheese. We also add lots of fresh mushrooms and chopped onions.
Pour into a casserole dish. Mix your favorite biscuit recipe (do not knead or roll it) and add 4 oz cheddar cheese and 1/2 tsp garlic powder to it and spoon the dough on top of the casserole.
Bake at 375 until the biscuits are done. Serve by spooning a portion of biscuit onto the plate and smothering in turkey mixture.
(My Mom has made this every holiday season for over 50 years... and the neighbors have dubbed it "Turkey Marilyn"! LOL!) We usually serve it with either leftover cranberries or a fruit salad.

#2-- This works well with ANY leftover meat!
chop 3 cups of leftover meat into a large saucepan. add enough chicken or Turkey broth to almost cover it. Add 1 package of Chili seasonings. Simmer on low for aprox. 1hour or until the broth evaporates, stirring often. Serve on warm tortillas with shredded cheese, refried beans, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes & onion, and sour cream!!

#3--Fry Up some potato's with chopped bacon, onions, peppers, mushrooms--whatever you like. When the potato's are nearly done, add a bunch of chopped-up turkey and finish cooking.
Serve with leftover gravy on top, or- as we ate it in Germany,, with 2 fried eggs and freshly made onion croutons on top ( gravy optional--they called it a Farmers Breakfast and used chicken, but turkey works well!)

There are hundreds of things to do with it--- and if you had a huge bird and small family, it'll go a long way...
unfortunately, our 22lb bird only lasted 3 days--- seems everyone here was eating sandwiches 2x a day, not to mention 2 turkey dinners out of it!!

Quote:
yummm that sounds good!!!

I think I am going to freeze whats left in the fridge, or just give it to the flock (I still have 3 turkeys in the freezer)

Turkey, Ham, Wild Rice Soup. It is delish!!!
3 cups cooked wild rice
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey (smoked turkey is great)
1-2 cups cubed cooked ham
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 qt. half and half
1 cup chicken broth
(I usually go with 1/2 to 1 qt of 2% milk and up my broth to 3 cups. This helps cut down on some of the fat content and still taste good)
1 med onion chopped
sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/2 tsp of salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup all purpose flour

In Dutch oven or stew pot, combine all ingredients except flour. Cook over4 med. heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 15-20 minutes. In a canning jar or small bowl, add hot stock from soup and shake or whisk flour in hot stock; stir into soup. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom