Leftovers?

jasonw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
What kind of left overs can a chicken be given? Clearly you would not want to give them left over chicken would you?

They will eat chicken....Just don't tell them what it is
wink.png

It won't hurt them to eat chicken, but it just seems wrong on so many levels. There is a chart somewhere of what they can and can't have....

I'll see if I can find it...It's at the top of this section of the forum. Here's the link...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21530

Bluemoon

Last edited:
They can eat pretty much any people food.

Mine won't touch carrots or bacon. Everything else - and yes, that includes chicken - has proven to be fair game. Avoid foods with too much salt, as this is dangerous for them. Avocados and citrus are also on the no no list.

They'll practically do tricks for cheese and meats.

In lite of the reply's we had about one bowl left of the spegety we had for dinner tonight. I put it in there and they tore it apart, absolutely loved it. My wife was worried about it attracting fly's but it didn't have a chance to they ate it so fast. A lot better than it sitting in the trash can all week, now that attracts fly's.

So far, mine have enjoyed: cooked oatmeal, scrambled egg (weird, I know
hmm.png
), ANY greens, cooked whole wheat spaghetti, a baguette chunk, cooked broccoli (also loved it raw), bits of cooked chile (meat and beans + veggies in it).

I put what I can into a take-out-type aluminum pan, to try to keep the run from having sticky stuff on the ground, but they ususally flip it, and later I don't find a trace of anything left! I will keep offering leftovers, but in small amounts, as their main diet will be grower crumbles, soon switching to layer crumbles. Leftovers will be more of a treat.

Last edited:
Anything left over on our table eventually goes out to the chickens. If they don't like it, they don't touch it. This includes numerous things on the no no list. However, they have free roam and won't bother eating something bad for them out of boredom... that said, they love to eat styrofoam and that cant be good. I swear they like the sound of the squeak on their beaks.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom