Leg Band Recommendations?

speng5

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
Wondering what everyone prefers for leg bands for coturnix or similar sized quail? I ordered a package of THESE from Amazon by searching "quail leg bands". They only stay on my most gargantuan of birds, most they slide off. None of my birds were able to wear them at all until they were several weeks old. Any recommendations for a smaller size that is proven to fit a little better?

Wondering what everyone prefers for leg bands for coturnix or similar sized quail? I ordered a package of THESE from Amazon by searching "quail leg bands". They only stay on my most gargantuan of birds, most they slide off. None of my birds were able to wear them at all until they were several weeks old. Any recommendations for a smaller size that is proven to fit a little better?
:welcome Look up Chicken Hill baby poultry leg bands. They are different colored rubber leg bands. They have different sizes #4 - 1/4" - med. work well for my adult jumbo quail. You will want a smaller size if you are banding young quail.

Last edited:
I use small zip ties. I just color code them based on the hatch group they are in. Easy to put on, fit any sized bird. Zip them on loose enough to not restrict but tight enough to not slip over their foot and snip the tail off. If you need to remove it just snip it off.

Males are banded on one leg (left) females on the other (right). If I need to do any special designation like a carrier of a gene, they get a second band on the same foot of whatever color I determine for that differentiation.

I use small zip ties. I just color code them based on the hatch group they are in. Easy to put on, fit any sized bird. Zip them on loose enough to not restrict but tight enough to not slip over their foot and snip the tail off. If you need to remove it just snip it off.

Males are banded on one leg (left) females on the other (right). If I need to do any special designation like a carrier of a gene, they get a second band on the same foot of whatever color I determine for that differentiation.
I have also used zip ties a few problems I had with them was cutting them off. Had a few that tightened up somehow and was very hard to cut off being so tight to leg. Also harder to handle with hatchlings being so small. And with the fast growth rate of Quail didn't have to change as often using the rubber band. From everything I have tried in my opinion the chicken hill baby bands are the safest/easiest band that I have used on hatchlings and small birds like quail.

I have also used zip ties a few problems I had with them was cutting them off. Had a few that tightened up somehow and was very hard to cut off being so tight to leg. Also harder to handle with hatchlings being so small. And with the fast growth rate of Quail didn't have to change as often using the rubber band. From everything I have tried in my opinion the chicken hill baby bands are the safest/easiest band that I have used on hatchlings and small birds like quail.
Yeah I don't band hatchlings. I have a big enough incubator and 2 brooders so I can keep two sets separate until they are 8 weeks old and I sort them out with who I want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom