Leg bands on just-hatched quail?

_Randall_

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Grenada, Ms
Is it permissible to put leg bands on day-old quail? It would be the tiny colored zip ties you get at wally world..............and put on loose enough of course, with the tag end cut even with the clinch.

Id just keep em separate till they are at least used to their own legs before you go strappin a ziptie on them.

Just doenst sound like good idea to me, and judging by the overwhelming silence, nobody else does either . . .

I've done it on 1-week old chicks, and didn't have any problems,but was wondering if anybody had ever done that right out of the bator. Yeah, there was a little curiousity from the others, but nothing that caused any injuries or other problems. Just was wondering about the stability of the chicks right out of the bator, since the first few hours is a slight challenge in walk/run coordination. But it doesn't take long before they are like little road runners.

Just don't use red zipties...
wink.png

I wouldn't do it right out of the incubator, but maybe a couple of days later. I usually just keep the separate bloodlines in different brooders.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Just don't use red zipties...
wink.png

I wouldn't do it right out of the incubator, but maybe a couple of days later. I usually just keep the separate bloodlines in different brooders.

Yeah, I may end up doing that. Got some eggs from JJMR mixed in with about 65 of mine, and I was wanting to keep them seperated starting at hatch.​

Back
Top Bottom