Leg bands on just-hatched quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, Jun 13, 2010.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Is it permissible to put leg bands on day-old quail? It would be the tiny colored zip ties you get at wally world..............and put on loose enough of course, with the tag end cut even with the clinch.

2. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Id just keep em separate till they are at least used to their own legs before you go strappin a ziptie on them.

Just doenst sound like good idea to me, and judging by the overwhelming silence, nobody else does either . . .

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't know about other quail but I wouldn't do it to Bob's. Bob's are nutty. If everyone isn't the exactly like the other, they try to kill the ones that are different.

4. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Quote:Seriously.
    I never even thought about what a nice target a colored ziptie would make . . .

5. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I've done it on 1-week old chicks, and didn't have any problems,but was wondering if anybody had ever done that right out of the bator. Yeah, there was a little curiousity from the others, but nothing that caused any injuries or other problems. Just was wondering about the stability of the chicks right out of the bator, since the first few hours is a slight challenge in walk/run coordination. But it doesn't take long before they are like little road runners.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just don't use red zipties... [​IMG]
    I wouldn't do it right out of the incubator, but maybe a couple of days later. I usually just keep the separate bloodlines in different brooders.

7. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Just don't use red zipties... [​IMG]
    I wouldn't do it right out of the incubator, but maybe a couple of days later. I usually just keep the separate bloodlines in different brooders.

Yeah, I may end up doing that. Got some eggs from JJMR mixed in with about 65 of mine, and I was wanting to keep them seperated starting at hatch.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by