leg bands

i use them on my NH Bantams, i can keep records of where i got birds and their offspring. I use chick bands and every size in between until i get to size 7. I got first state vet at the ohio national and from cuttler supply.

I don't band all my birds. I have around 100 right now. Most of my birds have a numbered band on their right leg. These plastic expandable bands will sometimes break off and I'll wait till showtime to put another on. I try to color-code the birds with the age. This years cockerels have yellow bands, last year's had red numbered bands. Should a bird do particularily well in a show, I have colored rings that I place on their left leg, sort of like a letterman's jacket.
smile.png

I banded the 10 white leghorns I have so we could tell them apart. The kids gave them names.

I bought my leg bands from
http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
Band Size # Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

Quote:
Bandettes- Very easy to install and they expand as the leg grows. I've never banded any of chicks until I am ready to integrate them with other birds. I get mine from CutlerSupply

If your banding them really young I wouldn't use the cable ties, incase one gets too tight, they can be a hassle to cut, especially if its tight around the leg. I like to wait until their older so that the leg band fits over the foot snuggly so it won't fall off. But then again I use the sealed ones.

For my show chickens this year I am thinking about using leg bands.
blackbird, how old should a bird be to know that thay will not grow out of them and need to be removed. My birds are 12 weeks?

If you plan on showing and for identification purposes, what type of band would you use and when do you apply them.
I have Orpingtons and I looked at several charts that point to a size 11. Please some one let me know what you use and where to order.
When I raised pigeons, I banded early at two weeks or earlier.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom