Leg bands

Also doing the 4" colored zip ties. Install with some room for leg growth, then clip the "tail" off so they have nothing to grab hold of and accidentally tighten the bands, have a tiny little $3 pair of end cutter pliers I got out of the discount bin at the hardware store, works great - no risk of accidentally clipping a lag feather or anything else, cuts closer than the side cut/diagonal pliers I was using before

Just curious the need for bands in your circumstance.
Yes, there are multiple reasons that individuals use leg bands, for ID purposes. There are actually a few threads I have responded to in past years. The most common and useful response, was to use colored zip ties. They do have to be installed with caution, not to be too tight. They also need to be checked that they did not get tight due to chicken growing. There were also some posts that claimed chickens tightened up the zip ties themselves by pecking on them with their beak. If someone carelessly left a long tail excess, then that is a possibility.
I always suggested to place ziptie loose onto leg, and cut off excess even with the locking end. This way there is nothing that can be pulled to make it tighter.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Those of you, using shortened zip ties, how do you make sure it doesn't get too tight, given that zip ties are made to tighten?
I've not had a problem with the zip ties tightening by itself. I cut the excess tie off close to the feed thru. You do have to check the ties as the leg continues to grow. When the tie is not loose enough, I cut it off and put a new one on.

Also doing the 4" colored zip ties. Install with some room for leg growth, then clip the "tail" off so they have nothing to grab hold of and accidentally tighten the bands, have a tiny little $3 pair of end cutter pliers I got out of the discount bin at the hardware store, works great - no risk of accidentally clipping a lag feather or anything else, cuts closer than the side cut/diagonal pliers I was using before
Yep, same here.
I use the side cutters for trimming end off flush with the lock.
End cutters are used to cut thru lock when removing a snug tie.

I used elastic orthodontic bands for my 3 week old Buff Orpingtons. The size shown is 3/8" and will need to be removed soon. Up until then I used Chicken Hill Baby Poultry Leg Bands. Not sure what breed you have as sizing can vary so much.. they are very easy to get on and off!

Attachments

• 20200605_191423.jpg
    20200605_191423.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 11
A lot of people use these to also keep sorted which are males and females. It works good.

Back
Top Bottom