Leg bands???

Quote:
Will this work? I thought when you disturbed a hens normal pattern they stop laying?

Back on subject. We had just discussed putting leg bands on the hens according to their age so we know when to replace the older hens.

I have a couple people who only need a few eggs a week that will take the retired girls.

Susan

I have used colored zip ties. Now I buy leg bands. The birds grow so fast I just order the adult size of what ever breed I want to band. I have read of some one using nail polish on the birds toenails. Here is where I get my leg bands.

http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
No. Band Size Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

Dumb question......if I am banding standard cochins.....is that even possible? Do I need to go up a size?

I have 3 blacks and I can't tell them apart! Same with my 3 barred cochins....

And don't get me started on the two each of the white leghorns and buttercups.

I need leg bands!

I purchased neon coloured cable ties in the electrical department of Home Depot (or Lowes - go to both so much these days, I forgot which one had the pretty neon colours!). Anyway, got a big bag for about $3.27.

Quote:
Good Idea , just have my first chicks on the way (june 3rd 09). Will seperating them a couple at a time tell for sure if they are good layers or will they get stressed if you put them in a dog crate to lay and not lay at all?? or does a laying hen lay anywhere? thanks kim

Quote:
Interesting idea for seing who is laying and who is not laying.
I have two broody type hens. I know for sure one does lay however I am skeptical about the other one.

Back
Top Bottom