Leg bleeding. Help!

Katejc

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Shuswap, British Columbia
My son just brought this Sebright to me with a bloody foot. Upon closer inspection it looks like this is a bigger issue. Is this leg mites? She is holding the one bad leg up and is now laying down to eat. She had blood on her beak.
ED944216-9E2B-4176-A03C-EAAE77683F76.jpeg
7E8B04D2-FCDA-4C40-9967-8E12AEE9305B.jpeg

It looks like an injury to me. There may be some early scaly leg mites going on. I would flush the wound, use veterycin or a chlorhexidine (hibiclens) or just plain, mild soapy water. Then you can apply plain neosporin to the cut area. Once it's healing you can treat for the mites. Most commonly the legs and feet are slathered in vegetable oil, I like castor oil because it's quite thick, but any kind will do, and then cover with vaseline. It's mess and dirt will stick, but the idea is to smother the mites. You can also use Nu stock ointment.
You will need to apply several times a week, until the legs start to look better.
More info on scaly leg mites here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

It looks like an injury to me. There may be some early scaly leg mites going on. I would flush the wound, use veterycin or a chlorhexidine (hibiclens) or just plain, mild soapy water. Then you can apply plain neosporin to the cut area. Once it's healing you can treat for the mites. Most commonly the legs and feet are slathered in vegetable oil, I like castor oil because it's quite thick, but any kind will do, and then cover with vaseline. It's mess and dirt will stick, but the idea is to smother the mites. You can also use Nu stock ointment.
You will need to apply several times a week, until the legs start to look better.
More info on scaly leg mites here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/
Thank you so much. I have permethrin dust, can I use that on my flock for the mites? I soaked her foot and softly cleaned it with a soft toothbrush. I then put on some hydrocortisone and wrapped it all up. I will wait for it to heal and then use the vaseline?

Permethrin works for most lice and mites, but the scaly leg mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin under the scales so it won't get to them. So yes, I would use the vegetable oil and vaseline or nu-stock, that way they get smothered. It takes a bit longer than with standard mites.

Back
Top Bottom