Leg Color genetic ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by swheat, Sep 20, 2010.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Is anyone familiar with leg color genetics ? I am going to cross White to Black colored birds. Not sure if the white is Dominant White or Recessive White ( I don't know their background). I am wanting to create more whites with white pink tinged shank and toes. I was just wondering if will be able to breed out the Black colored shanks and toes from the cross to black birds ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I believe you will get White legged birds. I am doing a similar breeding to get my White Orp numbers up. And the lady who gave me the idea talked to a genetics person who said you can take Buff as well to a White and expect White skinned. Now the ultimate test is how will their offspring throw? that is another question for another thread and day. For now I am going to try and do that breeding and hope and see what comes out now and down the road.

Good luck and let me know how your breeding goes?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
  4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I can't breed to buff because I don't have them in this particular breed. I was going to breed the White X Black offspring back to the White, because I have considered that about what the offspring will throw when bred together. I figured it what save lots of time and cull birds by crossing the young back to white...but that is my ideas on the matter. I was just wondering about the leg color though and how many generation it might take or if was a losing battle.

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    What are the two breeds your crossing ???

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I am not crossing breeds just color varieties. rosecomb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by