donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I came across this older post by Tim...

Originally Posted by tadkerson

1. If you crossed a barred female with a buff male, then the female chicks do not have a head spot and the males do have a head spot.
2 if you breed a barred female to a non barred male -only the male chicks will be barred and the females will not be barred. yellow legs female x male slate legs = all chicks will have slate or blue legs
muffs and beard is an incompletely dominant trait- your female with muffs and beard x no muffs and beard = some muffs and beard chicks and some no muffs and beard

Tim

The bolded part caught my attention---is this only with the barring gene? I know barring messes up the dark leg colors, correct?

I have two hens that are an EE/brown leghorn cross. I had both genders of both breeds and never really cared about which parent was which breed....but I was always kind of puzzled by their yellow legs. I thought one dark legged parent would give dark legged offspring. Is there some type of sex linkage here? If you reversed the above, with a yellow legged male over a slate legged female, would they be linked at all? Or is it a 50/50 kind of thing?

I do understand white shanks seem to be dominant, correct? I'm talking about yellow and slate, in this case.

Henk69

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Groesbeek Netherlands
I'd say that since yellow legs carry dominant sexlinked Id, that all the male offspring should have white legs, not slate.
Maybe Tim meant white soled legs.

Top Bottom