Leg defect in baby chick!!

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
This chick hatched on 23rd day just a few hours ago today . He is a ayam cemani mix. He hatched with an open naval and one of his feet is not quite right. It looks a little bigger than the other one like its swollen or something and his feet is very stiff. What should i do guys?? 😓
Whenever he tries to stand he fall on the side of the defective feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_122248.jpg
    IMG_20200825_122248.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 21
To me, it looks as if the bigger foot (his left, right side of the picture) is the normal one. The other one with crooked toes looks abnormal to me.

In addition to the boot, or even without it, it's important that you stretch those tendons to keep them from staying like that. Hold the chick in one hand and uncurl each toe one at a time until the toe is straight. In this position, massage the toe for 30 seconds and move to the next. Don't forget the thumb! If you have the boot on stretching the toes won't be necessary.

In any case, extend the leg completely until it is straight, and then fold it up until it's against the chick's body. Repeat this 20-30 times. Do this at least twice a day, and if it seems like it's not easy to bend don't force it, just fold it as far as it goes without much resistance.

Normal growth should help the chick's leg to revert to natural position, and if not, he will be fine! Just like human babies, some chicks are born with little hinderances like this, and he should learn to get along fine without pain or suffering!

You could tape a wee boot/shoe to the bottom of its foot with some vet tape. Just shape a boot out of some cardboard and leave it on for a couple of days. It's foot may have been buckled in the shell before hatch or it's a deformity.
To me, it looks as if the bigger foot (his left, right side of the picture) is the normal one. The other one with crooked toes looks abnormal to me.

In addition to the boot, or even without it, it's important that you stretch those tendons to keep them from staying like that. Hold the chick in one hand and uncurl each toe one at a time until the toe is straight. In this position, massage the toe for 30 seconds and move to the next. Don't forget the thumb! If you have the boot on stretching the toes won't be necessary.

In any case, extend the leg completely until it is straight, and then fold it up until it's against the chick's body. Repeat this 20-30 times. Do this at least twice a day, and if it seems like it's not easy to bend don't force it, just fold it as far as it goes without much resistance.

Normal growth should help the chick's leg to revert to natural position, and if not, he will be fine! Just like human babies, some chicks are born with little hinderances like this, and he should learn to get along fine without pain or suffering!

Thanks for replying! I think i will massaging his feet and make a boot out of cardboard or bandage as you guys suggested. The only problem i face is that crooked leg is very stiff like you can't straighten it. Its as if the bone there is super hard or, overgrown or something at the middle of the feet.

Thanks for replying! I think i will massaging his feet and make a boot out of cardboard or bandage as you guys suggested. The only problem i face is that crooked leg is very stiff like you can't straighten it. Its as if the bone there is super hard or, overgrown or something at the middle of the feet.
Does the joint bend at all, even a little bit?

Does the joint bend at all, even a little bit?

Just a tiny bit but its very stiff and hard. Its hard to even move the fingers of the feet. Totally not what its like in a normal leg.But he is able to stand and walk now. I would say the middle of the feet, the stiff part and the leg look kinda swollen. What can it be?

Just a tiny bit but its very stiff and hard. Its hard to even move the fingers of the feet. Totally not what its like in a normal leg.But he is able to stand and walk now. I would say the middle of the feet, the stiff part and the leg look kinda swollen. What can it be?
Probably a birth defect. The swelling means there is inflammation, but that can have a million causes. I have had a less severe form of this happen when one of my coturnix chicks hatched (assisted) two entire days late. He ran out of room and his leg and foot came out stuck in a curled up, fist-like position. He couldn't move it so the tendons just tightened up like that.

As long as the joint is moving, the bones couldn't possibly be fused. Let us know in a couple of days if he has gained any more mobility in those joints, or if he cries when the leg is bent. It's great that he can walk now, that alone is a huge improvement!

Probably a birth defect. The swelling means there is inflammation, but that can have a million causes. I have had a less severe form of this happen when one of my coturnix chicks hatched (assisted) two entire days late. He ran out of room and his leg and foot came out stuck in a curled up, fist-like position. He couldn't move it so the tendons just tightened up like that.

As long as the joint is moving, the bones couldn't possibly be fused. Let us know in a couple of days if he has gained any more mobility in those joints, or if he cries when the leg is bent. It's great that he can walk now, that alone is a huge improvement!

He does cry if we bend the fingers sometimes or try to bend the joint. But i can't really bend the middle joint of his feet and the fingers also only bend half way through, they are too stiff. Now that you mention it is possible that his bones might be fused . I tried to straighten his curled fingers with a medicated tape but he was crying and moving a lot so i thought i will try again after some time . What would be a right step in this situation? I have never dealt with such a situation 😓

He does cry if we bend the fingers sometimes or try to bend the joint. But i can't really bend the middle joint of his feet and the fingers also only bend half way through, they are too stiff. Now that you mention it is possible that his bones might be fused . I tried to straighten his curled fingers with a medicated tape but he was crying and moving a lot so i thought i will try again after some time . What would be a right step in this situation? I have never dealt with such a situation 😓
You'll need to take him in for an x ray to find out for sure. Just do your best to massage and stretch the toes for a few days to try and loosen them up. If they don't loosen even a little by day 4, it's probably a serious tissue deformity that can't be corrected with physical therapy. At that point, your long term plan would be to get advice from a vet, and make sure he can walk, eat and drink. It could be that that's just how his leg is, only time (or a vet) will tell.

You'll need to take him in for an x ray to find out for sure. Just do your best to massage and stretch the toes for a few days to try and loosen them up. If he cries, bend it a little less. If they don't loosen even a little by day 4, it's probably a serious tissue deformity that can't be corrected with physical therapy. At that point, your long term plan would be to get advice from a vet, and make sure he can walk, eat and drink. It could be that that's just how his leg is, only time (or a vet) will tell.

Back
Top Bottom