Leg Deformity, Curled Toes...advice?

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
We have a chick that hatched yesterday and it's legs are straight out behind it's body and it's toes are all curled up. It's peeping like crazy and seems alert up to this point. Two other chicks hatched on Monday and are both fine.

I'd like to know if anyone can give me any suggestions on what may be going on with this chick and if we can do anything to correct it.

Thanks!

Here is a post I found from a previous thread by Purple Chicken :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20205

It's about how to tape the legs for spraddle leg.

You can also make some little boots for their feet by getting a plastic margarine or cool whip lid and cutting it the size of the foot and taping with either a bandaid or medical tape to straighten the toes.

I would also give the chick some of the liquid infant vitamins Poly Vi Sol, WITHOUT iron for awhile. 3 drops along the beak daily for at least a week and when you see improvement after the week, decrease the dosage to wean the chick off the vitamins.

Keep the chick warm and out of drafts with food/water available 24/7.

This chick has curled toes- we taped them to some cardstock overnight, and in the morning his toes had curled up and managed to slip sideways , right back the way they were.

His legs are the main problem- we taped them together last nigh, but they are NOT splayed in any normal fashion. If he is laid on his stomach, his legs point out behind him as if he is swimming like a penguin. We can tape them together, but that only brings them together, not forward where they need to be.
With the tape "shoes" on, I could stand him up and he would balance, but would then lean too far back and fall over. He has strength in his legs because he pushes back against me when I am working on his legs.

Hopefully someone that's dealt with your same problem will see this and be able to help more.
The only other thing you could do is stand the chick in a glass that his feet can touch the bottom at night. I've heard people do this and it helps them get their legs more up under them where they should be. I'm sorry I'm not much help!

Back
Top Bottom