leg hobbles really can work

Oldfort_mailman

"The Fortfather"
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
cleveland tennessee
I am sure there are probably people like me who are sometimes doubtful when they read about some of the remedies on here but we just had nothing short of a miracle happen with one of our lavender orpington chicks that was two weeks old. She began having leg problems at two weeks and after a day she was walking on her elbows and i thought she was a goner. I read on here about the leg hobbles but since it was for splayed leg i didnt think it would help her much but i tried it anyway. My wife used medical tape to make the hobbles and she worked with her for two minutes ten to twelve times a day for two days helping support her to stand while she ate and drank. We also changes the hobbles every day to make sure her skin wasnt being irritated. By the third day she was standing and walking slightly off her elbows although stumbling. And on the fourth day the hobbles were off and she was walking short distances fine. The fifth day she was completely normal with no limp or stumbling at all. It has been ten days since the hobbles were on which makes here four weeks old and although she is a little smaller than her mates she is just as lively and vigorous and has taught our four young turkeys how to walk, eat, and drink. I dont remember where on here i found the article but thanks again. Another example of how awesome this forum is.

thumbsup.gif

i've heard many success stories with hobbles fixing splay leg. glad to hear they helped your chick
smile.png

The only really sad part was that we had two turkeys born that way at different times this yr and even though my wife cried after a few days i couldnt stand to see them suffer any more flailing around on their elbows and getting sores so i had to put them down. If i had only joined the forum sooner and found that post... i just did the only thing i could think of to keep them from hurting anymore. Its amazing that even if you've been in the military and done opps where you had to take life to save life, its the baby turkeys and chickens you had to euthenize that keep you awake at night...

the babies always make me so sad, too. they haven't had a chance to experience anything yet.

don't beat yourself up too hard about the poults. everything is a learning experience, and, for lack of better options, you did what you needed to do at the time. you didn't let them suffer, and that's the important part.

Back
Top Bottom