1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg Hook for Catching Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaku, Oct 29, 2009.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone used one of these? Does it work better than the sneak & pounce method? Anyone know where to get them online?

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I use a big fishing net that you get for under $20 at Wal-Mart. Ducks have weak legs.

3. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    Not hard to just make one. I modeled mine after this:

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=648

The offset hook seems to work a lot better than the old bent clothes hangers that we used when I was a kid. Still use the sneak and catch method on the slow ones but this works really good for the ones that want to huddle in the back of the tractor and the wannabe Joyce Joyner-Kersees in the bunch.

4. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
    I have found that a net works best for me too. I used a leg hook but had more misses than I liked.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i use 1 , and it is easyier then the pounce method,

6. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    It's easier to aim high and catch them at the knee than the feet. Trying for the feet adds up to alot of misses.

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh yeah, that does look like it would be pretty easy to make!

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I made one from number 9 wire and it worked ok I was not a good operator. The net is far more accurate for me. It has its issues also in a tight area, it can get caught on feeders roosts etc.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I use hooks quite often. The first ones I had I just bent out of welding filler rod and I hung them from the fence wire around the coop when I wasn't using them. The ones I have now I bent from 1/8" aluminum rod. Someone also gave me a homemade one made from aluminum clothesline wire and a homemade handle. I never found the handle all that necessary.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    How exactly do you use it, I know the idea but I mean what is the best technic, and why do you have alot of misses??. I can see it being cumbersome in a tight coop or pen, but maybe a shorter one would work better. any ideas, I also use a net but want a better way to catch them that doesn't break feathers.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by