Leg Hook for Catching Birds

Not hard to just make one. I modeled mine after this:

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=648

The offset hook seems to work a lot better than the old bent clothes hangers that we used when I was a kid. Still use the sneak and catch method on the slow ones but this works really good for the ones that want to huddle in the back of the tractor and the wannabe Joyce Joyner-Kersees in the bunch.

I made one from number 9 wire and it worked ok I was not a good operator. The net is far more accurate for me. It has its issues also in a tight area, it can get caught on feeders roosts etc.

I use hooks quite often. The first ones I had I just bent out of welding filler rod and I hung them from the fence wire around the coop when I wasn't using them. The ones I have now I bent from 1/8" aluminum rod. Someone also gave me a homemade one made from aluminum clothesline wire and a homemade handle. I never found the handle all that necessary.

How exactly do you use it, I know the idea but I mean what is the best technic, and why do you have alot of misses??. I can see it being cumbersome in a tight coop or pen, but maybe a shorter one would work better. any ideas, I also use a net but want a better way to catch them that doesn't break feathers.

AL

Back
Top Bottom