Leg injured pekin duck - super dirty, how to help her get cleaned up

tayjamieson

Songster
Jan 11, 2019
Mount Vernon, Washington
Hey! I hope everybody is doing well :)

One of my female pekin's has had a leg injury the last 2 weeks. She is starting to show improvement! She is being very good about resting so she can heal but she can't walk very well, uses her wings to balance herself if she does walk/run. I have been giving her baths in our tub every couple days since she can't get into the duck pools with her injury, but we had some rain yesterday and she is covered in mud.

The photo I attached doesn't show just how dirty this little gal is with mud. I have been using Epsom salts in her baths to help her heal/manage pain but I was wondering if there is a way I can help her get all the dirt off of her? I googled it and there are a bunch of recommendations on soap, but I wanted to come to my experts here at BYC. Any suggestions, or should I just let her be a little dirty while she is healing? I just feel bad looking at her :(

I can't see your photo.
I'm an idiot - I forgot to attach! here it is:
20190628_161300.jpg

I know I probably seem like a crazy person based off how she looks in the photo - but its more her underside, bottom, and under her wings that are stained dark with mud - not so much her back, but she wouldn't let me get a photo of her underside! She is very lady like.

The specks are normal.
Okay awesome, I always wondered that and meant to ask but I kept forgetting to mention it. Before we got rid of 5 of my drake's, there was a gene that followed into the ducklings I hatched and 2-3 of them had super pale beaks. First time I noticed it I thought they were maybe cold but my boyfriend quickly pointed out that wasn't a logical assumption haha. I <3 you guys!! Thank you so much for answering all of my bizarre questions :)

When you put her in the tub she won’t go to town bathing herself? I wouldn’t use soap on her it will strip the oils on her feathers.
Thank You so much for your response! I ultimately did not use any additives to her epsom salt bath. I gave her 2 bath "rounds" as in filled the tub up twice because the water was filthy within minutes the first round, and the second round really allowed her to get nice and white again so you were totally right - just had to be patient with her and let her take care of it.

While I'm on the subject of Daphne (she is the female duck I'm discussing in this post who has a seemingly bad ankle injury) - I may take a photo of her ankle and post it for you guys if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinions? She is taking a while to heal up so I'd like to hear what you guys think based off some photo's of her. I will get some pictures taken today and post this afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom