leg injury/ growth-HELP

ajr

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Oklahoma
I noticed this hen's rump was dirty so I decided to catch her to bathe her. When she tried to get away her leg began bleeding. After bathing her, I was going to doctor her leg and found this horrible hard black growth. It is about the size of my thumb. Maybe an injury that grew up around the feathers??? Anyone have any ideas? How do I treat or get rid of? No vets around here treat chickens.

42034_leg.jpg

Sorry, not a very clear picture.
Is it like a scab?
It's hard to see exactly what it looks like. It could be a scab over an infected area from a scratch or a bite, but I'm not sure. Did you get it cleaned up well?

I cleaned it up, clipped what feathers I could, and put some iodine on it. It's not really like a scab. It is hard like a rock and about the size of my thumb sticking straight out from the back of her leg right where the feather's begin, and where it attaches to the bare leg it is bloody. Looks like it should be removed but I wouldn't know how to do that. Afraid I would hurt her worse because of the size of it. She doesn't act like it bothers her, though.

Back
Top Bottom