Leg injury or Mareks? (Much loved pet rooster)

That doesn't quite look like a Marek's paralysis to me.

I have had one 9 week old present with the classic paralysis. Limp one day that progressed rapidly each day until by day 4 it was dragging the leg behind it and suffering from progressive weakness in general.

If you haven't noticed it worsening or if he isn't dragging in behind it and 'knuckling' the toes under I'd suspect something else is going on.

The only way you will know though is by doing a follicle test like suggested or finding a vet that is definitely chicken savvy. Would you by chance have a Veterinary teaching college near you? That would be what I would be looking for.

Rooting for Barry!

I am not an expert on Mareks, and have never had it, but that looks a bit more like his leg or foot is sore. Check his footpad for any bumblefoot scabs. You may want to feel his joints for swelling comparing it to the other, and notice if feeling any part of his leg or hip seems more painful.

Sometimes you can see redness or bruising or a misaligned bone on the leg. An xray could determine if there is a fracture.

Here is a good link on splinting, which has a good picture of a bird skeleton, how to look for fractures, and how and what materials to use for splinting:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

https://www.lbah.com/word/avian/fractured-bird-leg/

Agree... that isn't the *usual* limp seen with Marek's.

Your headline says "much loved pet". I don't think putting him down is a good suggestion. While limping in general would be an indicator of some pain... he is still active and eating. Confined rest is a much better suggestion. Yes I jammed my finger last week and it still hurt. I have previously even bruised bones that hurt for a good 6-12 months after anytime pressure was applied, with no visible sign of injury to either. I am very much a realist and not a dreamer, but I am very hopeful for your handsome boy! :love

I would't JUST worm because it is "due", especially in an injured or possibly ill bird. I would ONLY worm them during that time if I had confirmation (load and species) they needed it and thought it MIGHT help the current condition. Worming can be taxing on the system and may push a bird on the edge over if they don't need it.

@Eggcessive can you please tell me if the follicle test could be done a pulled feather itself? Or is that on the skin where the feather attaches?

Mareks is best diagnosed after death with a state poultry vet examining feather shafts as well as tumor tissue that can be found on multiple internal organs. Mareks causes tiny tumors along intestines, liver and other organs, and is recognizable. There are tests available on feathers advertised, but I would not trust them to be accurate. I think the best way is to wait until there is a death, then get a necrospy. I have never treated Mareks, but others have gotten false negative tests. Most experts who have treated it in their flocks usually recommend a necropsy.

I recently had to put down a beautiful Buff Orpington/Welsummer rooster due to Marek's tumors. I have it confirmed in my flock from birds with Ocular Marek's via my husband who is an eye doctor. He has seen more herpes infections in eyes than either of us can count and he confirmed herpes infections in my birds' eyes.

The rooster I lost was a beautiful big boy almost 10 pounds, very friendly, very good flock master that the hens loved and very healthy until earlier this summer when I noticed he was loosing weight. Body checks showed nothing going on that I could feel or see so I wormed, gave him extra protein and watched. About two months later I noticed that he was having problems swallowing so I caught him. He was a walking skeleton and when I worked my way up his neck I found three huge tumors in his throat behind his wattles. His wattles hid them perfectly but when I opened his mouth I could see that the tumors were starting to invade his mouth. I held him, hugged him, told him how honored I was to get to watch him grow up and become a wonderful rooster and how much I loved him. Then I let his soul fly free. He was 28 months old.

Marek's is a horrible horrible killer of chickens and can hide itself and present itself in so many different ways. I truly hope your birds haven't been exposed to it but looking at Barry I'm hoping that you are looking at some sort of other problem.

Back
Top Bottom