Leg injury.....update....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savingpurple, Aug 11, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have a hen, and she is about 5 months old. Have no clue how she got injured, but I can thinks a few possibilities. One, as small piece of chicken wire we missed when redoing the outdoor run, and it is stuck in her foot. Have felt the bottom, but could be up too far to feel.

Two...Ms Pissy injured her in an attack. (she is gone now)

Three, while Ms PIssy was confined in a crate, she jumped and got a toe caught, or Ms Pissy went after her, and made her fall?

Many possibilities.....

I have watched her closely, given as best I can, a 1/4 aspirin two times a day.

Today just walking, she is geting worse. Made a vet appt, for Tuesday. Have her crated right now. My question is, should I spend 60 + bucks on a hen?

She lays eggs, eats well, seems happy otherwise. just seems in pain. Loves her banana/aspirin treat each time. Actually this picking up, and treating her to a banana each time, has made her a bit more calm. Still skittish and injured, but calming down to me.

She is just getting worse with each day. Time to end it, or spend the money? What is the general poll here?

Raised a city girl, so this ending a life is very hard for me. Money is not in ample supplies either. Any thing other than keeping her down to the low ground, that I can do? Any suggestions?

Any input would help! Thanks in advance....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Is this the leg and or the bottom of the foot? Is it swollen? Is the leg/ foot hotter then they other. It sounds like your hen is still very healthy and active " just in pain". Before I would take my chicken to the vet I would do everthing possible at home etc. Trying antibiotics, Soaking the foot/leg,confinement, rest and see if she gets worse. Maybe over time this will work it self out. Vet bills are alway high and that would be very last option. Good luck and I hope your hens starts feeling better soon.

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have a 2 month old roo with a leg injury, legs heal quickly because he was vital and eating drinking just fine, I have kept him in the dog crate with shavings and his fod and water nearby been almost 2 weeks now and he is finally getting up and about, he will be rejoining his flock next week when i see he is stronger...

if you know where the injury is you could use vet wrap...but if you have no clue where it is, a vet won't charge that much to wrap it up for you.

good luck

Ema

4. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    OKay, at your advice, I have her in a crate by herself, in the garage. It's mostly quiet, and she can relax abit after the initial shock of being terrified.

She is eating and drinking still okay. Still have her on the 1/4 aspirin every 12 hours. She has been started on Duramyicin.

Is there anything else I can do for her. She stretched her leg back and spread her wing in that stretch they do, and so that leads me to believe there is no break. I have felt the good leg against the bad leg, and they both feel the same, so that also leads me to think all is well in that area.

Thanks in advance. This first 5 months have not been stress free that is for sure.

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ok so yesterday I realized that keeping them in a crate while they heal causes them to become weak in the legs, I had them in there hoping they would get up on their own once their legs heal but turns out the cage effect makes them just sit and not get up too much. SO yesterday my dh said I wonder if we put them on the grass what they will do. my white roo got up and began slowly walking around eating grass and what not. the RIR is still weak but is trying to get up here and there and move around on her own. so instead of putting them back into the dog crate I had my dh bring out the 6 foot by 4 foot high rabbit cage he made back in the winter that was not being used and we took the bottom off it so they would have grass.

the white roo is walking about better today we are still holding out hope for the RIR hen.

so my point is, allow it some exercise out on the grass or something and see if she will get up and walk about on her own so she doesn't get weak like mine did. :)

Ema

6. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Can anyone tell me how to handle an injured hen, that is not all that fond of handling in the 1st place, to seriously check the bottom of her foot?

Has been on Dura for 2 days, and 1/4 asprin for almost a week. In a crate for 2 days, and maybe, kind of, maybe a slight improvement? Maybe?

I really need to look at the bottom under a very bright light, with a magnifying glass. Any help?? PLease. Having a hard time thinking I started with 7, down to six....and may be down to 5 soon. Not a great first 5 months...

I really think she has a small piece of chicken wire in her foot.

Please help!

7. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I would wrap her in a towel so she cannot flap and wriggle out. Sit on toilet seat or at kitchen table (anywhere with good light) and lay her on your lap while you inspect. Maybe have someone hold her for you so you can have your hands free to treat if needed. Maybe have some warm soapy water to soak, washcloth, tweezers, neosporin without the pain relief stuff and bandage material handy as well. If you must bandage just make sure entire leg is completely dry first and also make sure it doesnt get wrapped too tightly so circulation isnt cut off to the leg. Good luck!! You can do it!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    For bandaging, the drying part is crucial!!

9. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    THanks.....I am very confused as to what happened, and can't see anything. Need to get a better look !

I cannot than all of you enough. I am so lost, and love them, but feel I have failed them as I got them, and then tried to learn how to keep them safe, and healthy. My family thinks I am nuts on how much i care for them, and they look at them as chickens, and eggs.

I see them as an addition to our family, and land.

Drying is crucial...got it [​IMG] Thanks!

10. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    sorry, another question...if this hen lays, can we eat her eggs, on Dura? Just curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by