Leg injury

CassieLeo

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
Central Oregon USA
Hey guys! I have my first real chicken injury to deal with and of course we are going on vacation for four days tomorrow šŸ™„

Hereā€™s the story. Yesterday morning I was doing my routine flock check. I was holding this gal in my arms (sheā€™s my feistiest hen) and when I lost my grip on her she pushed off my chest and shot up towards the roof of the coop. Not really thinking, I reached up to grab her, grabbed her left leg, and freaked her out more. She went flying up again, twisted (I let her go at that point), and came down from about 6-7ft with a very hard thud. She was walking around immediately after (probably adrenaline) so I ran to town. When I came home, she could not bear weight on her left leg.

I canā€™t feel any breaks, nothing seems dislocated (legs hang the same way, nothing at an awkward angle), but she flinches when I touch near her hip joint. There is no swelling anywhere either. She will touch the leg down for balance, but will not put weight on it. I have her isolated in a dog kennel inside my garage. She is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom.

How long do injuries like this take to heal? Is there anything else I can do for her? I plan on keeping her isolated until we get back from the coast on Tuesday, I donā€™t want to risk her getting picked on while we are away. I canā€™t even begin to tell you how awful I feel for contributing to her injury šŸ˜¢ Of course, sheā€™s one of my favorite hens in my flock.

I tried to upload a video, but itā€™s not allowing me to at this time.

Attachments

• 884D0E25-3AB2-42F6-8EBD-E4E12F91883E.jpeg
    884D0E25-3AB2-42F6-8EBD-E4E12F91883E.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 13
  • B1DBBAA5-8D37-4069-84A6-5E3E8DED5436.jpeg
    B1DBBAA5-8D37-4069-84A6-5E3E8DED5436.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 9
  • C8704D8F-D778-47CF-820B-DED4A3725720.jpeg
    C8704D8F-D778-47CF-820B-DED4A3725720.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 9
How did she fare? She is so cute; I hope she got better and didn't get picked/pecked on too much while you were away!

How did she fare? She is so cute; I hope she got better and didn't get picked/pecked on too much while you were away!
Sheā€™s still a little gimpy but seems to be healing up! I was able to keep her in a giant dog kennel in my garage while we were away, luckily I have a wonderful chicken sitter! Iā€™m going to reintroduce her to the flock/coop on Monday ā˜ŗļø

Sheā€™s still a little gimpy but seems to be healing up! I was able to keep her in a giant dog kennel in my garage while we were away, luckily I have a wonderful chicken sitter! Iā€™m going to reintroduce her to the flock/coop on Monday ā˜ŗļø
Good luck with your gal!

Back
Top Bottom