leg injury?

elkhunter270

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
good morning, all, new member. I have a hen that is limping, I have her in isolation from the other kids because she gets picked on and can't run only hop away. I checked for bumblefoot, bottom of feet look clean, toes are not damaged but left leg is swollen. I gave her several Epsom salt soakings which she enjoyed, but still no change, I have put turmeric in her food and was told to use Arnica as a anti-inflammatory. it's possible she and others got in a scuffle and she might have pulled or twisted her leg. thank you for any and all suggestions.

good morning, she is eating pretty normal. she eats the same thing as the others. layer feed small and medium, black oil sunflower seeds, cracked corn, oats, wild bird seed mix for our other feathered friends, micro greens from our indoor greenhouse. poop is normal not liquid or frothy, just limping around and getting picked on from it. BTY, I don't know how to tag someone. I'm 50 and retired with no kids.

good morning, she is eating pretty normal. she eats the same thing as the others. layer feed small and medium, black oil sunflower seeds, cracked corn, oats, wild bird seed mix for our other feathered friends, micro greens from our indoor greenhouse. poop is normal not liquid or frothy, just limping around and getting picked on from it. BTY, I don't know how to tag someone. I'm 50 and retired with no kids.
Does she feel good weight wise in your hands compared to her sisters?

To tag someone type in the @ symbol and then start typing their profile name, leave a space afterwards. 50 isn't old at all! I'm 40.

@SmiYa0126 her weight is fine. she is 1 of 2 speckled Wyandotte's around 3 pounds or so, only 10 months old. right now I think she feels being left out from the others, not using the roost I made but prefers to lay on the shavings and straw. debating on putting a radiant heat pad under the coop body to provide extra heat since no other fluffy bodies to cuddle with.

@SmiYa0126 her weight is fine. she is 1 of 2 speckled Wyandotte's around 3 pounds or so, only 10 months old. right now I think she feels being left out from the others, not using the roost I made but prefers to lay on the shavings and straw. debating on putting a radiant heat pad under the coop body to provide extra heat since no other fluffy bodies to cuddle with.
If you can set up a feeding station that's hidden it will allow her to eat in peace. Keep an eye on her eating, they lose weight really quick! I almost lost a hen when I didn't check it them around Thanksgiving.

I don't know about a heating pad, you could add straw if your hens don't eat it. I don't use straw because one of mine ate too much of it and I then had to flush out her gizzard. Not fun.

Back
Top Bottom