Leg issues

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
I had one of my turkeys act like they were about to have a heat stroke and legs started giving out. I brought it inside to cool off but still can't walk about almost a week. The joints now look huge and have the deep green bruise. It eats and drinks fine and it wants to walk but just can't. I don't have a good picture of them since everytime I get close it wants to jump around. The picture of the green leg is from today.

Attachments

• 20230804_115625.jpg
    20230804_115625.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 57
  • PhotoRoom-20230803_121027.png
    PhotoRoom-20230803_121027.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • PhotoRoom-20230803_121232.png
    PhotoRoom-20230803_121232.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I had one of my turkeys act like they were about to have a heat stroke and legs started giving out. I brought it inside to cool off but still can't walk about almost a week. The joints now look huge and have the deep green bruise. It eats and drinks fine and it wants to walk but just can't. I don't have a good picture of them since every time I get close it wants to jump around. The picture of the green leg is from today.
The left leg looks to have perosis aka slipped tendon.
photoroom-20230803_121027-png.3599313

If it was mine, I would cull it. It is difficult and mostly results in failure in trying to fix it. It will likely only get worse.

That looks pretty bad. Can you get pictures without the black out? It's hard to see when it's being trimmed out.
What's her diet?
I just removed the background because it was hard to see the legs with the way it was. It's eating its gamebird feed and I've scrambled eggs when it doesn't look like it's interested in food. Drinks plenty.

The left leg looks to have perosis aka slipped tendon.
photoroom-20230803_121027-png.3599313

If it was mine, I would cull it. It is difficult and mostly results in failure in trying to fix it. It will likely only get worse.
We figured the leg may not heal which we made it a chair to rest in so the legs aren't constantly up under it. It has fight to live so we aren't opposed to giving it an alternate way to live as long as we can minimize pain.

Any meds or wraps that will be beneficial?
You can try giving vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

The only possible way that it will mend is if you manipulate the tendon back into its groove in the back of the hock. Then you have to devise a method, cast and tape ,securely in place without making it tight enough to inhibit circulation. The prognosis isn't very good.

Looks like a broad breasted white which were designed to be harvested by the time they are 6 months old. Heart and leg problems are the future is has to look forward to.

You can try giving vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

The only possible way that it will mend is if you manipulate the tendon back into its groove in the back of the hock. Then you have to devise a method, cast and tape ,securely in place without making it tight enough to inhibit circulation. The prognosis isn't very good.

Looks like a broad breasted white which were designed to be harvested by the time they are 6 months old. Heart and leg problems are the future is has to look forward to.
I had a feeling it was a broad breasted but it was much smaller than the other two I had and isn't very meaty like I would expect a meat bird. It's been my buddy since it was a week old so we're trying to make it comfortable. We limit the amount of feed just while it can't move and exercise.

Do you think it's possible that it was starting to heat stroke and went weak in its legs then when it wanted to get up and couldn't it would just flap around bruising it badly? Fluid was building up so I just drained as much as I could. It seemed to help with the pain relief. Could that could all this?

Do you think it's possible that it was starting to heat stroke and went weak in its legs then when it wanted to get up and couldn't it would just flap around bruising it badly? Fluid was building up so I just drained as much as I could. It seemed to help with the pain relief. Could that could all this?
It is definitely bruised. That is confirmed by the green color. What caused what looks like perosis may have been due to the flopping around but it won't fix itself on its own. The hock shouldn't be that enlarged.

Back
Top Bottom