leg mites - do you have to treat your property too

Sunkhaze Farm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
I think I have leg mites, well my hens do
big_smile.png
not me, anyhow do you have to treat your property? I have a very large enclosed pen and wonder if I should treat it when I treat the hens? Thanks in advance!

I had a horrible problem with this on one of my silkies and I would dip there feet in oil, plus put vaseline on them to sufficate the little creatures. Now all's i do is give them one to two drops of Ivermectin under there wings, I haven't seen any issues lately... and its been about a year...

I had a horrible problem with this on one of my silkies and I would dip there feet in oil, plus put vaseline on them to sufficate the little creatures. Now all's i do is give them one to two drops of Ivermectin under there wings, I haven't seen any issues lately... and its been about a year...

Where do I get this liquid Ivermectin? Is there a certain strength of it for chickens? Seems like my feather footed ones are the ones with it the worst :( Thank you in advance.

I think I have leg mites, well my hens do
big_smile.png
not me, anyhow do you have to treat your property? I have a very large enclosed pen and wonder if I should treat it when I treat the hens? Thanks in advance!
No, but you should treat your roost with WD 40. They hide in the cracks in the wood during the day and attack the legs at night. Ivermectin is good stuff. It should be applied to the back of the neck, just like when you treat a dog. Most feed stores will have it........Pop

No, but you should treat your roost with WD 40. They hide in the cracks in the wood during the day and attack the legs at night. Ivermectin is good stuff. It should be applied to the back of the neck, just like when you treat a dog. Most feed stores will have it........Pop

WD-40?? Can't I use a permethain spray or other bug killer? WD-40 stinks, won't that irritate there air way? I have other critters in my barn so I worry that will be a problem

Where do I get this liquid Ivermectin? Is there a certain strength of it for chickens? Seems like my feather footed ones are the ones with it the worst :( Thank you in advance.
I got it at Tractor supply, it's made for Cows but like I said you only use one or two drops on under the chickens wings. However if you already have a worst case, you need to start the dipping each day and remove as much as you can now... Because it does eat away at the skin and toes. Nasty, nasty site....

Actually you need to make sure the stuff hits the SKIN, that is why under the wing, it's the easiest spot to hit.. You don't want to get it on the feathers because you need it to absorb threw the skin into the body.

WD-40?? Can't I use a permethain spray or other bug killer? WD-40 stinks, won't that irritate there air way? I have other critters in my barn so I worry that will be a problem
WD 40 was developed for NASA and is a strange stuff. You can actually drink it with no harm. It is oily enough to drown the leg mites, but of course, if you don't like the smell............
Actually you need to make sure the stuff hits the SKIN, that is why under the wing, it's the easiest spot to hit.. You don't want to get it on the feathers because you need it to absorb threw the skin into the body.

Right, it's basically the same stuff you use on dogs to prevent ticks and fleas. Under the wings is fine, but Most folks, including myself, have always put it on the base of the neck. To each his/her own. Oiling the legs actually gets quicker results and in most cases, new scales are growing in a months time. Whenever I have used it, I simply squirt the drops on the skin on the back of the neck while the birds are on the roost at night. No picking up the birds or chasing them around, so in my case, the back of the neck is the easiest spot to hit. I don't treat unless needed........Pop

Back
Top Bottom