Leg Mites

Chickenoverload

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
CT
hi i have this one hen and i noticed she had leg mites. what is the best thing to treat/get rid of them.
Thanks in advance

well that will depend on who you ask...

some will say Vaseline

some will say potions of oil and kerosene

I swear by the scabies cream for humans!.... yes you heard it... I go to the local pharmacy and ask for the cream not the lotion for treating scabies in humans... I find cause it stays on its more effective... I have NEVER had to re apply a second treatment 1 tube can treat 15 - 20 chickens

Put a generous amount of vaseline on the legs daily or better yet twice a day for 3 weeks. All chickens she's been in contact with also need to be treated. Dust the chickens 2 times 10 days apart or use eprinex 10 days apart. Clean out the entire coop from top to bottom - scrub everything. Throw away the perches and replace. Either dust or spray the coop with permethrin based product.

This was the only way I completely got rid of the mites with the group of rescue chickens I had. Don't assume they are gone just because the feet look better - it doesn't take long for them to look better but the mites are still there. The reason I say to dust or use eprinex on the chickens is not completely for the leg mites - from my experience, most chickens that have leg mites also have body mites and/or lice.

Good luck. I know it's a lot of work, but it's best to do it right the first time.

Quote:
dont forget to treat the rest of the coop... I am avid with DE... I will buy a second tube for my roosts and in the nest boxes... i put bits on my finger and smear it in the corners and seams of the nest box...

clean all my shavings out of the coop... dust with DE replace the shavings with new stuff and sprinkle DE again

Quote:
It makes sense that the cream would work. Human scabies is mites. EWWW...since you have to clean all bedding and fabric covered items in a home with scabies infected children, it would make sense to clean the coop to kill the mites that infected the chicken's legs.

Back
Top Bottom