leg mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Billy-jean, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I was taking a good look at my hens/rooster today,,trimming nails ect,,when I saw that my rooster looks like he might have scaley leg mites..I checked everyone else,they look fine. but the rooster was a little scaley looking on his foot,,not on the legs though..so I treated everyone and cleaned out the coop and added DE.
    1st time I ever had or saw this,,does anyone know where these mites are transferred from,,like wild birds? and is it common?
    I was hoping that because he's older that maybe it's normal to have a few scales??

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

With SLM the scales will be lifted. You can dip in mineral oil for two weeks to smother the mites (veg oil works). Dip every other day or so, or every day if possible.

There are many threads on BYC if you search and some have pics to help you see the lifted scales...ask for help if you need for finding pics to compare. :)

3. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you! I used baby oil for the legs,,did all 5 birds,then I also used selemectin pour on to take care of the external mites..
    I will re dip again tomorrow,,
    what a PITB!
    The rooster was the only one with a couple lifted scales,,maybe not mites after all,but I don't want to take the chance..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    yes,,pics to compare would be great Please!

5. ChickensAreSweet

6. ChickensAreSweet

Also don't forget to dust or spray your coop and it is best to toss litter if possible. I use sand so I just shake poultry dust everywhere and don't throw it out.

7. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    You're awesome,thank you!! very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by