Leg problem with pic..

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I have this little chick whos leg keeps flaring out to the side of her making it difficult for her to walk. At first I thought it was spraddle, I have tied her legs together and normally or at least with my other chicks that have had spraddle this would cure the problem with in less then 24 hours except this one. She's had her leg tied together now for 1 week going on week 2 and as you can see her leg is still flaring out. She can use her other leg just perfect but wobbles because of this other leg. I was thinking of making a cast or something but not sure exactly how to make one or do it for a chick. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Yes she does eat and drink. I can even see that she has grown a lot..

34179_img_20110426_012102.jpg

34179_img_20110426_012208.jpg

With all honasty, I'm about as smart as a sack of peanuts when it

comes to figuring out possible illnesses, etc..But it still looks like spraddle

leg to me. Somtimes it takes a few tries at fixing it. When my chicks had

spraddle leg, I used the band-aid method, and left it on for five days. And

you may have to repeat it a few times, before the leg is back how it's

supposed to be.
smile.png

~ScissorChick

I thought it was spraddle to but I have had it tied up now for 1 week going on week 2. I would think it should have corrected itself by now.

One of my cochins did something similar with it's leg going straight back. Honestly I tried to bind it but didn't work, it kept coming undone, so I let it be to see what would happen and it just started walking on it.. Now you would never even know that it was limping a couple weeks ago. Not sure what was wrong with it, but I hope your chick has the same outcome.

When I couldn't wrap it's leg, I did the little cochin on medicated food, and vitamin water.. Not sure if that helped or not.

I think starting tonight I'm going to try that, just let it go. I did notice the other chicks peck at his foot, I tried the bandaid again yesterday and because his leg stretchs out so far, he some how managed to break loose from it. So the bandaid did no good.

This baby chick still has not improved much. Now both legs are going to the side. I have tied them up again but not sure if this is going to help much. We are on our 3rd week and yet no improvement. Her bones feel almost like they have grown to be cripled. I can feel a twist in the bone itself. She still eatig and drinking so as long as she can do that I will hang tight with her..

I've heard some folks have success using pipe cleaners instead of the band aids because they don't come "unstuck" -- you twist them to the proper size/shape and they stay on better. HTH

do a search for pipe cleaners on here -- not too long ago someone had a REALLY good post and pix showing how they shaped the pipe cleaners into sort of a figure 8 or made a big loop, then twisted the bigger loop in the middle, making 2 smaller loops. (did that make sense?
smile.png
) You may have to adjust the size up or down until you get the end loops the right size/distance apart.

Give her some polyvisol baby vitamins, my little one couldn't even walk and legs were messed up and now is fine, I read up on leg
hu.gif
probs and it said some vitamin decficiencies could cause it so I went out and got some, he improved the next day and is now normal

Back
Top Bottom