Leg Problem

Laurel720692

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Simi Valley, Ca
Hello all! I've posted in the past about my chicken, Lucy, and the very, very, very hot day. Well, we seem to have another issue with Lucy and I'm hoping to gain some advice!

Last Thursday my husband found Lucy laying down in the run with one of her wings out and not walking around or doing anything. Given our past experience with her, my husband assumed she was having issues with the hot weather again so he pulled her out and watered her down. She seemed alert and would eat and drink during this time. When she tried to get up to walk, however, her right foot was curled under (point your arm towards the ground and curl your fingers up, to give you the visual) and she would stumble. Her left leg and foot are perfectly fine. When she would stand, it was obvious that she was putting the majority of her weight on her left leg and, at times, conscientiously uncurl her toes and straighten out her right foot, but still not put weight on it.

Naturally, over the last few days we have been watching her and she has stopped with curling her foot under, but it's very tender for her to put weight on her right foot/leg and will try to hop around on her left foot/leg only. Still spends most of her time laying down, of course.

I have checked the bottom of both feet for any cuts or swelling, etc. Both feet look good and she doesn't exhibit any discomfort when I apply gentle pressure. I'm wondering if there is something with her hip, but I'm not experienced in knowing what to feel or look for.

Other than this issue, she is alert, eating and drinking water and seems perfectly fine. Thank you for any help and advice!

Your hen might have been sunbathing when your husband found her. For the issue of curled toes she might be low in vitamin B-2 (riboflavin.) The B vitamins and vitamin E are pretty important to leg and foot health, so I would start her on some vitamins, either PolyVisol baby vitamins, chick vitamins in the water, or a B vitamin or powder, but I would add some E which does come in water soluble capsules as opposed to it's normal fat soluble form.

Thank you for replying! Forgive my ignorance, you mean the same type of vitamins we get in the store for humans? I guess it would be the same, but just want to double check. Also, is it ok for my other two ladies to have access to the vitamins, too, even though they are perfectly fine?

I googled PolyVisol and it looks like it's in Enfamil and in liquid/drop format.

Yes, they are the same. They sell chicken vitamins at the feedstore in small containers for around $6 and WalMart sells polyvisol for $8. I have some super B tablets that will dissolve in water, and sometimes put 1/2 tablet in the chicken waterers. A lot of people feed their chickens brewers yeast which has B vitamins and selenium.

Back
Top Bottom